Mitsubishi & Omron -OPC-UA - KEPWARE Server

karthiknd7

Hi,
In a project I have four Progressive Pressing Machine. Each machine with different PLC like

Mitsubishi 'Q00UCPU' with 'QJ71C24N-R4',

'FX-3U-16M',

'FX2N-128MR' and

Omron 'CJ2M-CPU13' with 'SCU41-V1' module.

Now my task is to connect all PLC with KEPWARE Server through OPC-UA.

Note: There is no Ethernet Port available and existing RS232 port are all connected to all respective HMI's

In this scenario, I would like to know, do all the PLC that i have mentioned above supports OPC-UA through Ethernet if i add a new Ethernet module to each PLC. So the data transmission will be faster or else should I buy RS232 serial communication module to communicate through OPC-UA.

And also i would like to know, what kind of "Industrial Switch" will be perfect for this application.

Kindly suggest a best way to prove myself.

Thanks in advance

Both the FX ones have modules for Ethernet and kepware does talk to them however the FX2N is now redundant and no longer available you could upgrade to FX3U, the software can be converted in most cases but it depends what programming software was used if gx developer then no problem but if GXIEC then some of the libraries may cause issues if upgrading to GXWorks 2
I believe that the CJ series also have Ethernet cards.
Some HMI's have pass through mode so that a programmer or other comms can be used to connect to the plc. Many OEM's have used the E series of HMI's on Mitsubishi and indeed Mitsubishi at one time used a badged version of the Beijers HMI.
Also note that if you use the 422 programming port on the Mitsubishi, kepware will only connect at 9,600 baud unless forced to higher baud rate by the Mitsubishi programming software but will revert after power down. I came across this when I used kepware connected via Ethernet encapsulation communications to 422 converter, once online with GX Developer at 115Kb kepserver would talk but if PLC power cycled would only connect at 9600.
Not looked into whether there are registers in the 8000 range to force the baud rate on the programming port using plc code.

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate you.

Speaking of the software they used is unknown. We haven't accessed the PLC yet.

I have gone through Kepware manuals. Over there in Kepware Mitsubishi Fx Driver mentioned that FX2N PLC can be connected to Kepware by using Ethernet Encapsulation through FX2N-CNV-BD + FX2NC-ENET-ADP.

This is not an OEM company. So the standard is bit an average.

This project is all about MES. The pressing machine and the plc in it are all minimum 15years old. We cant do much change in programming cos they dont want to affect their production. We need to fetch all the required MES data from all the PLC and send it to the Server which has Kepware.

I just want to play save and advance so that is the reason i am sticking with Ethernet Mode of communication rather other serial communication

Lets say they have total 10 machine.

Omron CJ2M - 5 Nos

FX-3U-16M - 2 Nos

Q00UCPU - 2 Nos

FX2N-128MR - 1 Nos

Now i have to get the MES data from all the PLC mentioned above.
I am just thinking of Modbus TCP/IP Slave/Master mode of communication.

So i would purchase a Master PLC (not selected yet) and connect all the factory PLC to it and make the Master to communicate with Kepware. So there wont be any hustle, i think so.

I am not sure how MODBUS TCP/IP gonna be more effective in this application. B'cos i couldn't find a source where Omron PLc can communicate Modbus tcp/ip or not.

I'm also thinking of CC-link but couldn't come to conclusion...

Kindly suggest your views.....

Thanks in advance......

To be honest I wouldn't bother with a data capture PLC all you would be doing is putting in another source of failure and getting all them PLC's talking on Modbus probably a bit of a challenge, Kepware informed me some years ago when I had concerns over vast amounts of data that we needed to cope with that they had a system with over a million tags and it was coping well.
Would it be Modbus RTU or ASCII as this could be a problem.
Not sure if you are aware but Kepware also has a data logging protocol that will log data directly to SQL so there is no need for a Scada system if it's only data your interested in, this is limited to enabling data to be logged on demand it would rely on other signals from PLC's for example; only log when certain states exist.
On the FX2N front, This PLC is now redundant and if you can upload the code and Data (good idea if it relies on data in data memories) you could then convert it and download it to FX3U, in my experience unless there is some special operations specifically for FX2 Good luck

Just thought of something else that I did some years ago. I used Ethernet to either 232 or 422 converters and Ethernet encapsulation in Kepware (uses standard programming 232/422 protocol encapsulated in Ethernet) to talk to a number of different PLC's this way we used either the existing programming ports, pass through on HMI's or if existing extra ports on PLC's used them.
To install Ethernet adapters on FX you need to program them so expect downtime to install. As I said earlier, be warned that the FX defaults to 9600 Baud and kepserver will not talk to it at higher rates unless the PLC is told to by programming software and will default back on power down. I know there are bits in the M8000 range for communication setup for Expansion cards in FX, however I am not aware of any for port 0 (programming port).