Powerflex 70- Any easy to understand manuals from past training, etc. ?

Good Morning ,

I'm starting some in plant training for some of our maintenance mechanics, and would like to focus on frequency drives at one point. The drives that we have in our plant , are the Powerflex 40 , Powerflex 525 , and the Powerflex 70.

My question is concerning the Powerflex 70 . I have a "mental block" when
it comes down to the Powerflex 70. The manual is so confusing . I have experience with many drives , but this is one I really struggle with.

Would you know of any manuals that may of been created by integrators , training manuals from Rockwell , or maybe you folks wrote your own manuals , that are much easier to understand for a basic setup ?

Thanks so much in advance ,

It’s not directly training but here’s something from a few years ago you might find worthwhile. It’s laminated and hanging in our MCC room. It was originally done in Word. This is from Pages on an iPad and there’s a few conversion anomalies and a couple extra page breaks I didn’t fix. I neutralized a few names and added some commentary in red. There’s no guarantees, express or implied and other disclaimer mumbo jumbo.

For context: We had a MCC room with 1333 & 1336 drives in 2100 MCC. As the aging drives failed, they were replaced with whatever was handy - mostly PF40, a few PF70, even a couple Yaskawa. A recent expansion had added a MCC bank of PF70 with ethernet control. Another project had added a PF70 network (out in packaging). As a capital project, I replaced every drive (80+some) in the original sections except a couple odd large ones with PF70 and standardized wiring for interchangeability. Each has a HIM on the outside of the door. We moved to PF525 for new stuff but I still use the PF70's sometimes to match where it makes sense.

For the MCC overhaul, we standardized on 3 hp (2hp HD) PF70 as the smallest, even for 1/2 hp motors. They’ve been very reliable. We don’t fool with PF40 smaller then 5hp. I’ve heard others complaining of PF40 reliability, but with 5hp drives as a base, they’re very good for us. PF525's have not been as reliable but so far have generally been sized to the motor. We’re starting to oversize them. See how that goes...

Yes, I am OCD enough that I renamed every HIM save to the name of the equipment.

Last edited: