You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 19th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #1
RickParrot
United States

Angry PV600 comm problem

I have a PV 600 (2711-T6C16L1, Ser-B Rev-C, FRN- 4.43) It has a RS 232 port I believed is used for printing, and a RS 232 DF1 port.

I am trying to RS Linx with it using an NC 13 cable on the DF1 port. No luck! Help? I would like to wipe any old program out of it and use it wherever it would help.
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #2
timothymajka
United States

The RS232 port is probably set up for DH484 get your 1747-UIC out and put a serial cable on it, dont forget to move the switch. auto config will not work, set linx up Device: 1770-KF3/1747-KE Baud: 115200 Parity: Even Error Checking: CRC Stop Bits: 1 Protocol: Full Duplex and whatever your computer is seeing the UIC for a comm port
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #3
RickParrot
United States

How are technicians/ engineers supposed to know all that. My odds are better winning the Powerball than to stumble on the settings you gifted to me. I will try them. Don't know if I have a 1747-UIC.
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The part number 2711-T6C16L1 tells us that the communication serial port (not the printer port) is set for DF1 Full Duplex communications. That's the port labled "RS-232 DF1".

It is definitely not DH485. A 1747-UIC will not work with it.

PanelView Standard terminals use a "DCE" type serial port. To connect it to a PC, you need a "straight through" serial cable.

The common 1747-CP3 serial cables for SLC-500 controllers are null-modem type, not straight-through.

The 2711-NC13 cable is a straight-through serial cable, or you can use any off-the shelf cable that has pins 2, 3, and 5 one end connected straight through to pins 2, 3, and 5 on the other end.

The default settings for a DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx Classic should work with the PanelView Standard. Delete your driver and start from scratch with a new driver instance.

Are you using a USB/RS232 converter ? Some of those are lousy and many of them won't work with the Autoconfigure feature, which is why I always recommend simply creating a new driver instance and using the default settings.
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #5
RickParrot
United States

Oh, great. ANOTHER cable I have to order. My company has two PICs but no UIC. ARRRRGH!
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

A 1747-UIC will not work with it.
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #7
RickParrot
United States

Ken, Thank you for saving me the purchase of the UIC. I am not using a USB/RS232 converter. My programming laptop was ordered with a serial port. I do have the 2711-NC13 equivilent. I made it myself and tested the pin out. Ill wipe the DF1 driver and start again.
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #8
RickParrot
United States

Wiped all drivers, closed Linx and reopened. Com1, , SLC/ Micro/ Panelview, Starting baud rate, 19200, station number 00, parity, none, Error Checking, CRC, Stop bits- 1, Full Duplex.... Auto Config and ...... NOTHING! Time to go home!
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickParrot View Post
Wiped all drivers, closed Linx and reopened. Com1, , SLC/ Micro/ Panelview, Starting baud rate, 19200, station number 00, parity, none, Error Checking, CRC, Stop bits- 1, Full Duplex.... Auto Config and ...... NOTHING! Time to go home!

Double check your cable (straight thru)

Pin 2 to 2
Pin 3 to 3
Pin 5 to 5

Default settings for your PV is.. See pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf defaultsettingDF1.pdf (33.2 KB, 9 views)

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old January 19th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #10
GlenGineer
United States

Just off the top of my head I believe it is the "Printer" connection that you need to connect to in order to program the PV600. You need to get into the settings and change the printer to disabled. After that the panelbuilder 32 software should be able to communicate.
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #11
Mickey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenGineer View Post
Just off the top of my head I believe it is the "Printer" connection that you need to connect to in order to program the PV600. You need to get into the settings and change the printer to disabled. After that the panelbuilder 32 software should be able to communicate.
FYI, you can use both if the printer is disabled. (either/or)

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:04 AM   #12
timothymajka
United States

Just set up a test app with a PV600. Validated with no errors. Comm protocol DHH485. Just because part number lists it as a 232 port does not mean that the terminal cannot be configured as 485.
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #13
Mickey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothymajka View Post
Just set up a test app with a PV600. Validated with no errors. Comm protocol DHH485. Just because part number lists it as a 232 port does not mean that the terminal cannot be configured as 485.

You can't just configure a DF1 Standard PanelView for DH485, it would take a hardware change and probably firmware.

----- Chinese Proverb

Last edited by Mickey; January 20th, 2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #14
timothymajka
United States

I have several machines running 485 out of the 232 port. Not using a blue hose either. The only way to talk to them is 485 with a UIC
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #15
Mickey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothymajka View Post
I have several machines running 485 out of the 232 port. Not using a blue hose either. The only way to talk to them is 485 with a UIC
Thats true, but you cannot just reconfigure a standard PanelView's DF1 RS232 port to DH485 with a software (PanelBuilder32) configuration.

----- Chinese Proverb
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum