Relay Timers

Thanks Sparkie, that helped. Now how do you guys read this timing chart? You have to hold the coil closed the entire time for Ta and Tr to continually cycle and when you remove power from the coil the cycle would restart from Ta when pulled back in?

TimingChart.PNG

Post me up a picture of the side of one of those timers that has the letter settings. You need no relays for this setup, only the timers. Those little buggers are awesome.

I don't have one on hand. But yeah I think I have been totally over thinking this and just need a NC set of contacts on my start PB to reset the asymmetrical flash relay. RE17RLMU is the one I was looking at per other posters advice from shneider. Just trying to confirm I understand it right.

Something like this.

junk.PNG

The TR-FS relay will always be energized. I'm not sure if that is the way the relay is made and B-1 breaks it, but that is the only issue I see.

a1,a2 are energized but contacts do not change state until b1 is energized on that particular relay.

You keep the timer coil energised at all times. As long as you keep power on it, it will keep "flashing" on and off at whatever interval you set.

If you need to restart during the off cycle, you just need to momentarily drop power to the timer coil - when power is restored it will begin flashing again, starting with the "on" flash.

See attached. K1 is just a simple relay that creates a start-stop circuit. The stop button will stop everything. The start button (which I forgot to label) has a NO contact to bring in the start-stop circuit, and a NC contact to break power to the timer coil when pressed.

You press the start button, K1 comes in. You release the start button, T1 is powered up, which energises K2 (pump contactor). If you press the start button again, the pump will restart as soon as you release it. If you press the stop button, everything stops.

Image doesn't seem to be attached. Try this
IMG_9785.jpg
gdPM6y
gdPM6y

Last edited:
Just wanted to provide a sample using a micro810 (Which cost $85.00) and a simple "Hand/Off" switch.

One thing about using this type of timer is you have complete over the recycle/cycle.

Micro810Timer.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys, ended up being a pretty simple circuit using that asymmetrical flash timer. Also managed to learn how to make a flip-flop circuit using relays...hopefully I never need to use it but all in all you guys helped me get a better understanding of relay logic. Much appreciated.

Need help finding another timer for this project. Basically I need a normally closed contact to stay closed after a signal is received if signal is lost for a specified time period (probably a few min) then contacts open, but continue to stay closed if signal is re-established before timeout... Timeout would not be retentive. Anyone know of one like this?

Need help finding another timer for this project.

This is the perfect example of why a PLC should have been used in the first place. This could have been easily added if a plc was being use, but since it was not, now you are tasked with trying to find another HARDWARE solution.

This may go on and on!

This is just my observation!