You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:51 AM   #1
klawson2012
United States

MicroLogix 1400 MSG to CompactLogix

Hey,

I'm trying to send read and write msg instructions from a MicroLogix 1400 PLC to CompactLogix PLC. In the message file instruction settings I am trying to use the CIP Generic Communication Command. I've tried using different Service settings for my Target Device, but no luck. I keep recieving an "Error Code[Hex]: e0"

Any Ideas?

I can successfully send msg instructions from the CompactLogix to the MicroLogix 1400.
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2
dmargineau
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

"E0h" is a ML Generic Error code and it identifies the "Expansion I/O Communication Module Error"; when MSG-ing from the ML's vantage point the CompactLogix CPU is "perceived" as an "expansion I/O Communication Module".
Since there are quite a few reasons you might get this error, you will have to "acquire" the CompactLogix's "response" to the MSG inquiry causing the "E0h" to be declared by the ML CPU.
I'd set up a CDM (Custom Data Monitor) and monitor the sub-element 22 of the MSG instruction for the CompactLogix "reply".
For example, if MSG X:Y returns "E0h", the CDM address to be monitored will be MSG X:Y.22.
There are 19 possible "responses" such as:
02H -Resource Unavailable
08H -Service Unsupported
09H -Invalid Attribute Value
10H -Device State Conflict
16H -Object Does Not Exist
etc.

Try running the suggested CDM and post the CompactLogix "answer"; if not listed above we might be able to let you know the reason the MSG instruction errors out.

Last edited by dmargineau; January 31st, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:18 AM   #3
fuzzy logic
Italy

klawson2012, why are you trying the message as CIP Generic ?

Message should be configured as 500CPU Write/Read instead.
You've also to configure the Multihop tab of MSG's settings.

Finally, you have to use the PLC/SLC Tag mapping inside RSLogix5000,since the CompactLogix processor doesn't support file structure equivalent to that of the ML family.

Try to read the following AB Knowledgebase technote:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....ail/a_id/33161

- fuzzy logic
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
klawson2012
United States

Fixed

Thanks a lot Fuzzy. Don't know how I didn't find that on the knowledge base earlier.

Communicating fine now.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum