Yaskawa drive E7 control wiring

obama

Hello, how are you?
Sorry about what I have done to the USA, but it’s my wife fault she told me what to do! I am learning a new trade on the side HVAC. Have a feeling I am going to be out on my butt soon! My side job is ok till I bought a drive! I need some of your knowledge, for a Yaskawa #cimr-e7u47p5, controlling a A/C blower. I am only using a VERIS #pxulx05s to static pressure controler (SPC). SPC has three terminals- power, com, and 0-10vdc out. I would like to use power from the drive to power the SPC. I know com and power is power into the SPC. I also know that 0-10vdc out and com goes to the drive. Now the drive! And this is the part that is driving me nuts! My secrets service can’t even get this info. It’s funny you pay good money and then they say ohhh you want to connect up controls? $$$$$--:sick:- A1, A2, AC, +V, and –V are the terminal! Is anyone familiar with this? Also there is a picture book with the drive that show a series parallel diagram with two resistor with both 0-10vdc and 4-20Ma ???:p
Obama

Hi

Hello, here's the link to the manual. http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmdrive.nsf/link2/AHUG-6RSRLZ/$file/IG.E7.03.pdf go to page 13 (also see on page 15)

and here's the link for the pressure transducer
http://www.veris.com/docs/Installs/pxseries_i0c2.pdf go to page 3

If you look at the box to the right of the diagram (for Yaskawa), it shows which connections for the drive to the VERIS #pxulx05s

Inverter Pressure Controller
AC Com
+V Power
A1 0-10Vdc Out

Make sure the dip switch on the transducer is set to voltage output. Also make sure that Jumper JP4 is set to 0-10Vdc. Use three wire twisted pair shielded cable. Terminate the shield conductor to ground at one end only and snip it off at the other end. Don't mix the power wiring with the control or analog signal wiring, and try to keep the wires for both power and control/analog signals as short as possible.

You'll probably have to set up other parameters inside the drive. Let me know if you need help with that.

Let me re post this so it looks clearer....

INVERTER------------PRESSURE TRANSDUCER
AC--------------------- Com

+V--------------------- Power
A1--------------------- 0-10Vdc Out

HI
Thank you
My eyes are blurry right now but, last night during my internet searches, I remember one place stating that A1 was used as a secondary input and A2 was the primary input, also that both could be used depending on the set up. Can you confirm this?
obama

No, from what it looks like in the manual A2 is the secondary input, and it is also configurable from 0-10Vdc or 4-20mA. I would recommed to use A1 as your primary input (which is only set for 0-10Vd). And yes, both can be used, but in your situation you obviously need only 1 for the pressure transducer. You're welcome.

Let me know if you have any other questions on inverters.

Good question. You might find it in another manual, or would have to find out the power consumption from the manufacturer (which is not in the manual). If you read the Yaskawa manual on page 15, it says that the +15Vdc power supply for analog inputs or transmitters allows for a max of 20mA current output. So as long as your transducers electronics draw less than 20mA, you should be okay (which it really shouldn't be an issue, but a good idea to check.)

One more thing to mention
"Jumper JP5: select bidirectional or unidirectional mode."
On the transducer, set it to unidirectional mode.

It seems that a power supply is required! So, I was thinking to run a 24Vac into the SPC-power, com. Then 0-10vdc out, and com to the drive (two wires). So would they tie in at A1-SPC 0-10 out, and AC – com? What about the polarity or the two power supplies?
obama

Last edited:
A power supply is required as the transducer will draw up to 30mA of current. Yes, it appears if you have 24VAC available you can also use that to power the SPC, wire Line to POWER, Neutral to COM. Also wire COM from the AC power source COM (neutral) to the Yaskawa Drive COM. Then wire the 0-10Vdc output of the SPC to A1 of the Drive.

Hi, and I know it’s probably for a better understanding mind, not as my mind is, but could you please explain your thought to me on, why did they put two resistors (2K), externally on the speed control terminals? Found on page 2-12.

Obama

Okay, the first resistor can be set to 1Kohm to drop the voltage 5 volts so you have 10Vdc max to power your A1 input signal (using both resistors). So with Resistor 1 at 1Kohm and Resistor 2 at 2Kohm you should have a 0V input and at Resistor 1 at 1Kohm and resistor 2 at 1Kohm you should have a 5V input and etc. So basically, the first pot looks like it is to drop the resistance 5 Volts so you have 10Vdc to power your second pot for the analog input of 0-10Vdc. Truthfully, that is something that is new to me as I have always seen a single pot on 0-10Vdc input for most inverters (obviously their original voltage is 10Vdc). It looks like in your situation, if you are using the output from the SPC to the inverter, you shouldn't even have to worry about this as long as the output signal is 0-10Vdc and you are using the external power supply. Also check your output signal from the SPC using a voltmeter to see if it is 0-10Vdc before wiring it up to the inverter. (Duplicate the signal by either using it in the actual situation or pressurize the SPC to it's rated value to record your max voltage output.)

^^^ I still don't like the fact that you're using 24VAC, I would recommend using a dc power supply for your transmitter and use that instead. Rhino and Sola power supplies are cheap to come by and it would be a better idea. Just my 2 cents on that though.

Hi the manufacture doesn’t like it either, so no a/c! Also no pots needed. Now the customer said he would like the old controls to work in the unit as it was. So I checked them out and found a 0-10vdc coming out of the two wire circuit. It’s coming out of the Trane V.A.V. unit control board. My problem now is I really don’t have a lot of understanding on these analog circuits, the most I have ever done is found out what the signal is, adjust something or place it. Like- where the power was coming from? What are the loads? 0-10vdc what is the current? Or 4-20 mA what’s the voltage? I am starting to have an understanding now thanks to plcstarter1884, I now know where the power is coming from, and you don’t mix power supplies. I think I understand more of this stuff. The analog control acts like a variable resistor, is an output, and can supply power. The analog drive acts like a load, is an input, and can supply power.
:) So now that I know the control and power supply is ok in the Trane unit, all I have to do is connect the two wires coming from the Trane control board to the drive at AC and A1. But know that I am thinking about it, I need to know which is com and power. I f the com is not grounded then it don’t matter? Also am I thing right?
Obama

Last edited:
I help those that deserve help.

This is not a place for politics and your attempts at humor are not appreciated.

Regardless of whether I like or dislike Obama, I am an American and he is our President.

So learn some respect or go away.