[B]Communication between PLCs[/B]

rajatphate

Hey everyone,

I have a query and I will try to be as simple as possible.
I have a system which has a PLC of its own, which is required to be installed in factory environment. But the PLC's may be from different manufacturers. So how can one PLC communicate with the others?
I am just a beginner, so your help will be very much appreciated.

(Note: I know about Siemens PUT and GET instruction. But I am interested in PLCs with different manufacturers)

Yes I'll use same communication protocol. But how will I send the data from local PLC to partner PLC or vice versa ?

Choose a common protocol that they both talk and use that one.
If Ethernet is an option, socket interface could be possible but it's not easy to implement.
Usually there are protocol converters that can be used... and manufacturers also make hardware to allow the use of protocols from other brands.
Allen Bradley, for example, has a Profibus communication card for their ControlLogix

One option is to use a computer to read from one controllers protocol and then write the information back into the other controller using a different protocol.
This can be accomplished using AdvanceHMI.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/
The protocols supported are:
Allen Bradley DF1 RS232 Driver
Allen Bradley Ethernet/IP Driver for SLC,MicroLogix, PLC5, ControlLogix, and CompactLogix
Beckhof TwinCAT Driver, ModbusTCP and ModbusRTU drivers
Omron Drivers
Drivers are accessible via VB or C# code

Just a thought,
Regards,