advanced hmi instance error

zze110

Greetings,

New to the whole OPC thing so...

I have installed kepserver ex on a computer and wrote a quick test app using advanced HMI that grabs a integer tag from kepserver using OPC and displays it on screen.

If I run the test program on the same computer as the OPC server, it works.

If I run it on a different computer across the network, it says 'object not set to an instance of...' and the program doesn't work.

Also I tried matrikon OPC test and I get similar results. On OPC server machine I can see all tags. Different machine I get a connection failure.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

OPC can be quirky.
The number one reason for OPC connectivity problems is the clients computer firewall settings and the computers DCOM settings.

Do a google search on those topics for more info.

perfect! that link solved it. I needed to setup DCOM permissions. Working great now! Thanks!