grounding power sources

Hi there,

I am in the UK, so am not at all coverse with the electrical system in your country. One implication of not grounding one side of a tranformer supply for a control circuit is that if you was to get simultanious faults to ground on your control system you could potentially render stop circuits as useless! Not a good idea that eh. Also, fault finding is easier if you always have a reference that is grounded around a machine.

Best regards

Mick

Mick, good point. :nodi:
I am not sure that it would be any more likely to happen than having the stop divice short out and become inoperative.

Point taken
Roger

Last edited:
Ground AC/DC

Drewcrew6 & Mick

Ground: The electrical neutral line having the same potential as the surrounding earth; the negative side of a direct current power system; the reference point for an electrical system.

You are correct, I am wrong. :oops:

(I'll have BACON with these eggs) (U.S. BACON)

Hello Roger,

You are correct of course that a stop circuit component can also go short circuit. In my experience, most machinery has multiple stop buttons but having worked in a food factory where water causing shorts was a major concern this parallel fault to the machine frame can happen all too easily. If the control circuit is not grounded, the fuse will not blow.

In England we use totally ground or earth free isolating transformers in SELV (Safety Extra Low Voltage) supplies and also for shaver sockets in bathrooms.

Best regards

Mick