Micrologix 1200, can't change controller node

Tim James

Hey guys,
Running into a problem here. Seems like I've done this a million times, but all the sudden I can't make it work (I suspect a more updated version of RSLogix500 and/or RSLinx may be throwing me off). All I want to do is change my ML1200's node address to 0. Typically I use default settings, PC is node 0, PLC is node 1 and HMI is node 2. Within RSLinx I changed my PC to node 3 so it wouldn't be occupying node 0. I take all the steps you would expect to take to change the PLC node, edit the controller properties while offline, find the PLC is system comms, download to it, and when the pop-up window comes up asking if I want the system comms settings to overwrite the project settings I click no (system comm settings are PLC node=1 and project comm settings are PLC node=0). The program with the new settings downloads, but it doesn't go online because the PLC node never changed to 0 and the project still is looking for node 0. The controller is still visible in RSLinx and System Comms as node 1. If I go online with the controller, the controller properties shows me that it is set to node 1, but as soon as I go offline the controller properties goes back to being set to node 0. Basically, it's like I can edit the node in the offline project settings, but I can't get those project settings to actually write to the PLC.

I am using a two port ML1200 and under channel configuration I can switch the Channel 0 port to ID 0, but regardless of whether I'm offline or online I can't switch the Prog/HMI port to ID 0. I'm at a loss here. I'm trying to use a different manufacturer's HMI and it expects to see the PLC at node 0 and it unfortunately won't allow me to change that setting. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't think you can change the Node Number of the secondary serial port on the MicroLogix 1200; that port was intended to always have the same configuration so that there was no configuration required to connect a programming PC or a peripheral to it.

Last edited:
I don't think you can change the Node Number of the secondary serial port on the MicroLogix 1200; that port was intended to always have the same configuration so that there was no configuration required to connect a programming PC or a peripheral to it.

This is kind of what I figured, but even when I set up Channel 0 to be ID=0 and my PC is plugged into the Channel 0 port, RSLinx and System Comms identify it as node 1. Anyway I can get one port setup so that the PLC will have a node 0 address should solve my issue, but for the life of me I can't figure out a way to do that.

On a side note, the HMI I am trying to communicate with is a Schneider Magelis XBT GT 2330. I've used plenty of them over ethernet, but seeing as how the ML1200 doesn't have ethernet I'm stuck with serial COM. This is where I am at as far as diagnosis (trying to get the PLC node to 0 becuase that is what Schneider says the HMI is looking for) but I'm open to any advice regarding this particular setup's communications. I triple checked cable pinouts, and am following all Schneider's recommendations on Allen-Bradley DF1 Full Duplex communications (except node address).

Last edited:
Ok, turns out the node address was not my issue. As much as I checked out pinouts it turned out to be a cable issue. Once that was resolved the Magelis and the Micrologix are finally talking. I still don't know what the deal with the Channel 0 node address was (I could still never get Channel 0 to reflect the setting for node 0) but for now at least it is not an issue.

Thanks for the followup !

I was thinking the issue might really be what RSLinx shows you when the Device Type is set for "Point to Point".

Strictly speaking, DF1 Point to Point always ignores the Node Number. The requesting device is always considered Node 0, and the responding device is always considered Node 1.

I think RSLinx Classic, when you select a "SLC/MicroLogix/PanelView" as the Device Type, runs in a way that it ignores the actual node number of the device it's connected to.

When you select "KF2" or "KF3" device types, it knows there can be a multi-drop network out there and the Node Number is now significant and is displayed completely.

Good information to have Ken. Keeping up with the proclivities of every manufacturers communication protocols is a chore, especially when trying to communicate between them all. I'll keep your tip in mind about KF2 and KF3 device types in RSLinx.

For anyone who is having trouble running Schneider Magelis HMIs with Micrologix over serial I would advise you to either use the expensive Schneider cables specified for Allen Bradley DF1 or to splice up our own CBL-PM02 (or use a phoenix connector). Even using the COM 1 sub D pinouts in my Magelis manual and cross-referencing with the pinouts of the CBL-PM02 didn't provide the full picture of what was needed so I had to scour the internet for a info on the recommended Schneider cable and then mimic that. Here's a link to Schneider's take on the DF1 protocol for it's HMIs, which has the cable info and communication settings.

http://www.cadfamily.com/Download.aspx?action=Tutorial&ID=295088

Also, make sure you set the HMI to use DTR/CTS for flow control.

Last edited: