slc 500 cheap com

astronutt

I have a slc 500 with 5/05 proc. I have a compaq laptop no serial port I bought a belkin usb to serial adapter but the serial part is male my proc needs female will this work with a male/female adapter or not.I guess what i really need to know is .....what is the cheapest route to comm to this proc. Please include part names or if the usb to serial i have will work and what i need to connect.
thanx

SLC 5/05 -- Use ethernet. If you don't have an ethernet switch/router/hub, then use a cross-over cable.

OZEE said:
SLC 5/05 -- Use ethernet. If you don't have an ethernet switch/router/hub, then use a cross-over cable.

That's my choice too but if you don't know the processor's IP address, you'll need to connect with the serial port to set or view it.

jstolaruk said:
That's my choice too but if you don't know the processor's IP address, you'll need to connect with the serial port to set or view it.

I'd be curious to know if the 5/05's Ethernet port defaults to using BootP to acquire its IP, as the Micrologix 1100 does. If so, you could use the BootP server that comes with RSLinx to set the address... and bypass the serial port altogether.

The 5/05 does indeed default to BootP, but if the IP address has already been configured and is not known by the OP then stick with serial. Of course you could wipe the memory and start fresh but perhaps they want to keep the program already in the controller.

I use BootP all the time personally, but if you are just getting started, serial is the easiest way to go.

As mentioned, a simple null modem cable or adapter from Radio Shack will do the trick easy enough.

OG