Check me

gmultani52

Hi,
By going through past post on this exellant web, about conecting slc 5/05 to laptop with dock (becouse dock having RJ45) through ethernet, I try my best but no success. I have ip addres for slc what i did want to put here

say slc ip adress is 103.103.103.0 and submask 255.255.255.0
I set my laptop ip 103.103.103.36 and submask 255.255.255.0

I am laptop with os 98SE RSlogix500 and Rslinx lite 2.4..(latest ver)
I do the same as stated i.e after seting as stated above
RSlinx communication > cong.driver > open table and select ethernet >
AB_ETH >add new > config. a table come for station and host name. in the coulum of host name on 1st row I enter slc ip address as above, in the second row i enter laptop ip address. iclose window. I click who,s in linx it is browsing and show found both adress.
Then I go to logix, go on line, it is not communicating with processor, window comes, processor path/node not found.
please guide me if iam doing right ifnot corect me. any more infermation u need please ask thanks

Try going by way of tool bar (on top). Click on comm then on Who Active go online. Then select processor then Ok

Two things....

It is not nece3ssary to type your laptop IP address into your RSLinx driver. RSLinx knows who your are. It needs to know the IP addresses you want to talk to. It does not hurt to enter your laptop though, it is just unnecessary.

Ok, the real problem is HOW you are going online in RSLogix. Follow these steps:

Open RSLogix
Click on Comms (or Communications, I forget the wording)
Select System Comms (NOT ONLINE!!)
Select your Ethernet driver in the left hand pane (should now be browsing ethernet)
Select your SLC on the right window pane
Select your intended option button on the far right (Online/Upload/Download

That is the proper way to Go Online.

OG

* edit * the method Mickey stated will work too, but you will have the same problem later when you upload or download. The method I mentioned works for all three.

Hi, Operaghost
at one time i did the same, i select 5/05 L551 but here window appear procssor path/node not found. Do u think some thing wrong with dock port. which i am using for RJ45 becouse my laptop do not having RJ45. If any thing I can use on my laptop to conect directly from ethernet hub to laptop. laptop do have serial port. Thanks

say slc ip adress is 103.103.103.0 and submask 255.255.255.0

I never noticed it mentioned if this was a new SLC and had a program or not.

Question? Does the SLC 5/05 have a default IP address or does it have to be programmed first and the program installed via RS232? I could look this up I guess.

I suggest you get the manual: http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1747-um011e-en-p.pdf

Appendix B explains RS232 connection
Appendix E explains Ethernet connections

I also noticed that the standard Ethernet connection is thru a hub...I know that a peer to peer connection is more difficult to connect than one using a hub.

Hi,

Question? Does the SLC 5/05 have a default IP address or does it have to be programmed first and the program installed via RS232? I could look this up I guess.

SLC has a program alredy running in it.
I guese cble is correct becouse one end of cable is already connected to ethernet hub and other end is free, may be used for trouble shoots to conect the laptop. I am new to this plant.

Have you tried pinging the processor yet?

Open a DOS prompt and type "ping 103.103.103.0" without the quotes. If you get "request timed out" messages then your computer cannot see the SLC and communications cannot be established. At that point you must verify the IP addresses are correct and that your cabling is correct.

If you get "reply from...." messages then communications is possible and we must reexamine your procedures.

If you are using a hub then one cable should be going from your laptop to the hub. Another cable should be connecting the SLC to the hub. This connection uses standard ethernet cable.

If "one end is free" that does not sound like a hub. That sounds like you have one cable with one end connected to the SLC and the other end "free" for connecting your computer. This does require a special ethernet cable called a crossover cable. A standard cable will not work.

I notice in rereading that you mentioned the laptop does not have an RJ45 connection. How does your laptop connect to the ethernet?

OG

Hi,
I read about pinging on this forum, but not knowing the procedure. now I come to know thanks.

I am connecting my laptop to slc thr hub (D Link writen on it, may be company name) Connection is as follow

One cable (yellow in colour) connected in top port of 5/05 L551, CH 1, other end of this cable to input port of Hub. ( I call it ethernet hub).

This hub having 5 or 6 port. out of 5-6 port blue cables are used one for another computer. I do not know where this computer is. other blue cable, one end is in hub, other is free which i am using to connect to my laptop.

yes, I do not have RJ 45 in laptop but I use extra dock which have some extra hardware facilities such as flopy, RJ45 and some other.

If some one advise me, if I do not use dock, how to connect laptop to ethernet hub

One other thing to verify is YOUR laptops network components...ie that your Network card is listed and TCP/IP for your network card is listed. Verify the network card is working.

Far as I remember you need to know the node number too.
You should type the IP in the right place in the tabel(RS Linx).
That what I did in the past I connected by DF1 got the node number and IP and set my linx.
Before you do that Set your network first IP and sub musk.
Make sure your ping is work and if you have any Fire Wall shut it off.

All the best

try again, Tom is right, anything that can be on Ethernet you can ping and should receive a response.

I watched a "pro" spend 2 days trying to connect to a 5/05 because his laptop's network setting were wrong.