Siemens STEP5 Cable Needed

sonofsiemen

I have a New Siemens PG with a MPI/DP 9 pin port on the back of the PG itself. I am trying to connect to a Siemens Simatic 505 with a 525 CPU 9 pin RS232. I am needing the cable to connect the two. Does anyone have one or know where exactly i can find one? Does the Siemens PG already have a converter built into the port itself, if needed? Please Help 🤾 The pinouts for this would even help.... Thanks in advance....

You dont state what PG model exactly.
Anyway, if you need a serial RS232 port, look for a 9-pin DSUB male port on the PC.
An MPI/DP port is a 9-pin DSUB female.
If there is no RS232 port, then I dont think you can use the MPI/DP port. Consider to use a USB/serial converter. Someone else can confirm if it will be OK with a USB/serial.

And, for a Simatic 505 PLC you dont use STEP5. I think the software is called APT.

You dont state what PG model exactly.
Anyway, if you need a serial RS232 port, look for a 9-pin DSUB male port on the PC.
An MPI/DP port is a 9-pin DSUB female.
If there is no RS232 port, then I dont think you can use the MPI/DP port. Consider to use a USB/serial converter. Someone else can confirm if it will be OK with a USB/serial.

And, for a Simatic 505 PLC you dont use STEP5. I think the software is called APT.

On the Siemens PG units the serial port is actually a 25way FEMALE socket.

As for the leads reaquired (if you were connecting to S5, but looks like you need something different!) , pretty sure this is correct:

6ES5 734-1BD20 = PC to S5 (current loop converter in cable)
6ES5 734-2BD20 = PG to S5 (using current loop converter in PG)

Therefore you would need the second lead number

This link to Siemens may help (I have never heard of the 505 untill tonight!
http://support.automation.siemens.c...tandard&viewreg=WW&objid=10844906&treeLang=en

Last edited:
I dont think he needs a current loop converter.
He did say it was an RS232 port on the 505.

You are right that maybe it is a 25-pin DSUB, if the PG is old enough - but he said it was new.
On our PG720P there are both 25 pin DSUB (with current loop integrated), a normal 9-pin DSUB serial, an MPI interface, and a 25-pin DSUB parallel port. You can damage actually something of you mistake the parallel port for the 25-pin serial.

I dont think he needs a current loop converter.
He did say it was an RS232 port on the 505.

You are right that maybe it is a 25-pin DSUB, if the PG is old enough - but he said it was new.
On our PG720P there are both 25 pin DSUB (with current loop integrated), a normal 9-pin DSUB serial, an MPI interface, and a 25-pin DSUB parallel port. You can damage actually something of you mistake the parallel port for the 25-pin serial.

We are going slightly off the original topic, BUT the latest is the PGM2, and the previous model is the PGM (posting message in it now!) Both use the same case, and have only 1 25w com port.

See attached pdf from siemens technical:

PLC Communication

Still can't communicate with the Simatic 505 with 525 CPU. I have a very old IBM laptop with TI Soft on it and can connect flawlessly. But with this NEW, straight from the factor) Siemens Simatic Field PG M2, I can't. It has the 25 pin AG port and 9 pin MPI/DP port as in the picture. I am tryin to connect with STEP5 software from the laptop. Siemen Rep said I could with it. Do I need the old TI Soft software on this new laptop to connect? Thanks Again

Still can't communicate with the Simatic 505 with 525 CPU. I have a very old IBM laptop with TI Soft on it and can connect flawlessly. But with this NEW, straight from the factor) Siemens Simatic Field PG M2, I can't. It has the 25 pin AG port and 9 pin MPI/DP port as in the picture. I am tryin to connect with STEP5 software from the laptop. Siemen Rep said I could with it. Do I need the old TI Soft software on this new laptop to connect? Thanks Again

Confused

I do not believe that Step5 can talk to a TI 505. They are completely separate platforms and config packages Step5 talks to S5 PLCs and TISoft talks to TI PLCs - load TISoft onto the PG and I think you will be in good shape....