Controlnet help!!!

chadhoot78

Let me first start with my setup. I am running a 5 chassis controllogix system with controlnet comms. Chassis 0-2 are in the main cabinet with the controller. Chassis 3 and 4 are in two remote locations. the problem started the other day somebody downloaded a new project to the controller. After that all the control net modules were blinking red. we tried several times to reschedule using RSNetworx. Now all of them are green. In the online project (linx also) we can see chassis 0-3, but not 4. we thought it was a bad cnb/e module so we replaced it. No change. In the main cabinet, we swapped chassis 3 and 4 coax connections and bam! 4 is visible, but not 3. Unhooked 4 and could see 3 (in the place where 4 originally was. This eliminated hardware and fiber connections. All we see in the logix project under chassis 4 are yellow caution triangles. under properties for the remote chassis, it says connecting....faulted. Tried for 2 days to figure out this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have duplicate Controlnet addresses.
Check and re-check all of the addresses.
ControlNet is somewhat of a black-art when it comes to scheduling.
Go back to basics, and find out what changes were made in the new controller. Are they referencing a project that is not on the schedule?

I verified the addresses and the modules are correct. Tried cycling power to the cabinets then rescheduling. Is it possible that it could be a keeper issue and how exactly does the keeper work?

How did you run you cables from Node 3 to Node 4? You said you swapped the connections for nodes 3 & 4 and node 4 appeared. If Node 3 & 4 are in separate remote locations, how did you swap the connection? Can you sketch the network and post it?

The 2 remote panels are both connected by fiber to the main plc cabinet. swapping 3 and 4 would make chassis 4 come in and out. I did figure out the problem. Whenever the download was made, there wasn't an updated rsnetworx .xc file to use. Under network, properties, media tab, there was no hardware selected. I simply added the fiber modules and repeater adapters along with an estimate of fiber in meters and coax. After doing this, I simply saved the file and then it worked. Im still puzzeled on how it worked to start with. I tried 3 different networx files and none worked. I guess whoever set it up originally just had it working and this was the first download ever done to the controller. Thanks for the replies to all.