AIC converter/Redlion data logger communication questions

matthew1

Hello!

I have a data-logging project and I’m stuck on the communication.

It is a 3 node DH485 network consisting of
2-ml1500
1-pv1000
2-AIC units

I’m planning on adding a third AIC unit for the red lion logger.

I need to make sure my understanding of the AIC unit is correct first. There are three ports on the unit.

1- DH-485 phoenix connector
1- DB-9 RS232
1- RS-232 8 pin Mini DIN

All of the above ports are an rs232/rs-485 protocol depending on the number of devices connected. 232 point to point 485 multiple devices via handshaking.

(again this is what I know if Im wrong or not quite right please correct me.)

I have a bench test assembled and trying to test. The bench test consists of an ml1500 LRP series C and a Red lion data logger connected together via AIC converter.

Port 0 on the ml is configured for dh485 and is connected to port 2 (8 pin mini din) on the AIC.

The data logger is plugged into port 1 (DB-9 rs-232) on the AIC to the rs-485 port on the logger. The cable used for the connection I made from an example on red lions web site. (CBLGEN01 is the example see attached.)

I used the cross reference on the web site for the cable. However I might not be thinking right. Link to cross-reference http://www.redlion.net/Support/Downloads/DeviceDrivers/G3/AllenBradley.html

The RS-485 port on the logger is configured as a DH485 master.
Port mode- 2 wire RS485
Station number 0

I cannot get any communication between the ml1500 and the red lion unit that I can tell. I’m not sure if I have a handshake issue or something else. The Tx and Rx lights are on. The red Rx led on the logger is solid and the green Tx led if flashing.

Maybe I need to use a 1747-AIC link to tie directly into the DH 485 network?

Thank you in advance!

If the RED led is on solid that is a problem. That would indicate that our receive line is being pulled high. I would first remove the cable and see if that light goes out. If it does that means something in wiring is the issue. If it doesn't it would indicate a possible problem with the port.

Thanks
Jeremy

matthew1 said:
The data logger is plugged into port 1 (DB-9 rs-232) on the AIC to the rs-485 port on the logger. The cable used for the connection I made from an example on red lions web site. (CBLGEN01 is the example see attached.)

I used the cross reference on the web site for the cable. However I might not be thinking right. Link to cross-reference http://www.redlion.net/Support/Downloads/DeviceDrivers/G3/AllenBradley.html

The RS-485 port on the logger is configured as a DH485 master.

Port mode- 2 wire RS485

I think you are connecting RS-232 to RS-485 with that arrangement. You will either need to connect the RS-485 port on the G3 directly to the DH485 (phoenix plug) or use an RS232 port on the G3