iFix 5.1 Project

Indiaum

Hi guys,

I started to learn ifix a couple of days ago and i'm facing a extremely frustrating problem, all i want is: Create a new fully independet project under c:/prjs/prj01. It will be just for learning purposes.
People where i worked used to copy the sample project than changed some settings, but i didn't saw this procedure in the eletronic books. I read "Setting_Up_the_Environment.pdf" but it didn't work, when i clicked "Change Project" in the "Path Configuration", it asks to create the folders tree, but ALWAYS, NLS or ALL FOLDERS, were created empty, without the default files, so when i try to start "Workspace" is gives me missing dlls error, dsterror and scuerror.
I found this procedure in GE KB:

http://support.ge-ip.com/support/index?page=kbchannel&id=09237d4900112007ff7cf0767b
is this the way people create new project and manage multiple projects in the same machine this days?

The closest i got to succeed, was when NLS was created empty, then i copied the contents of C:\Program Files\Proficy\Proficy iFIX\NLS into C:\PRJS\PRJ01\NLS
Workspace was started normally this way.

I'm using WINXPSP3 on VMWare 8.0, everytime things go wrong, i create a new fresh install of Windows.

Please, i beg for help, this is driving me crazy. How do i create a new project in a custom path and manage multiple projects?

Thank you very much for your attention and sorry about my english.

I tried:
- open SCU
- File -> New
- In "Path Configuration", changed "Base" to my custom path.
- Clicked "Change Base" and "Change Project"
- Then "OK" button
- Choose "Proceed" when prompted about the missing file in Alarm Area Database.
- Choose "Create ALL" about the default files. (Then a problem, NLS folder remains empty)
- Copied the content of C:\Program Files\Proficy\Proficy iFIX\NLS to my custom path, wich is C:\PRJS\IFIX\PRJ01\NLS
- Then i'm able to start the "Workspace" (once) the other time it gave me "Error Number: -2147212799 (80042201)"

OMG, so frustrating...Any tips or guess?

Thank you for your attention and sorry about my english.

Last edited:
OK, i think i found an acceptable way to create and manage multiple projects in the same machine....however, you will be able to activate only one project at a time.

What i did was:
- Install iFix
- Open SCU, with the default FIX.scu loaded (Located in C:\Program Files\Proficy\Proficy iFIX\LOCAL).
- In SCU, click File, New
- In "Path Configuration" change ONLY the project path, first option in "Application Paths in Current Project Application" section, to a location of your choice.
- Click "Change Project"
- Choose YES for all prompts till finished
- DONE. You can now customize your project. Just for testing, i copied the folder where i created my project (Project Path in Path Configuration) to a new machine with a fresh iFix install, and the project worked normally.

This procedure worked ONLY when i had the default FIX.scu loaded. Without it, all folders were created empty.

I realy don't know if this is a correct practice or not. But i think it is pretty acceptable. And may be usefull to another noob like me xD

Now its time to focus on OPC Driver "OPC Client v7.41f", i'm trying to use it with RSLinx. Anyone want to help xD? Once again my problem is with "Paths", in OPC Power tool, "Default Path" its not clear what i should write in "Default configuration File Name" and "Default path for configuration file"

Could you explain what error you are facing in OPC client communication with RSLinx? And also, it is not a good practice to copy and paste the project folder to another location after creating.

iFix is an Awesome SCADA...

Oh Ok,

"Default path for configuration file" is the folder path where your OPC Client file is located.

"Default configuration File Name" is the name in which you saved your OPC Client file.

Could you explain what error you are facing in OPC client communication with RSLinx? And also, it is not a good practice to copy and paste the project folder to another location after creating.

iFix is an Awesome SCADA...

Thank you very much for your reply sir =)

First, my Items, created in OPC Power Tool, only updates if i start and stop the driver in OPC Power tool, checked with Data Monitor in power tool and inside IFIX.
Second in iFix database sometimes i can read them, sometimes i got only ????
I'm communicating with Softlogix

My nodename is VM01, so in "Default configuration File Name" is it ok if i use "VM01.opc" and "Default path for configuration file"is it ok if i use "c:\PRJS\PRJ01\PDB" (My project path in Path Configuration is c:\PRJS\PRJ01\)?

(My iFix system was installed in default path C:\Program Files\Proficy\Proficy iFIX)

Last edited:
Hi,

If you configure 'Default path for configuration file' and 'Default configuration File Name' correctly there won't be any need to start and stop the driver in OPC Power tool.

You can save your OPC file under any name. Your OPC file name is VM01.opc and use Path Configuration as "c:\PRJS\PRJ01\PDB", fine, no problem, but make sure that 'VM01.opc' is saved in the PDB folder of "c:\PRJS\PRJ01\PDB". So you should not use Path Configuration as c:\PRJS\PRJ01\.

Last edited:
Understood. I'll remake my virtual machine and try everything from scratch, to make sure of the procedure. But i'll have to do this next week.

Thank you very much for your help sir.

can any one help me out??
I am setting up IFIX(5.0) scada on a computer after re-installation of OS(Windows XP).
I have the old back up files(the project folder with all its sub folders and files in it).
I am using Industrial gateway server 7.5
After opening the IFIX, When I select the SCU file and opens the workspace I am getting the error as "cannot find dsterror.dll" and when i try to open the system configuration I am getting the error as "error opening SCUERROR.dll"
Can sombody say whats is the reason behind it.
I can select a new SCU file but still it is getting same error(i think it is not changing)

OK, i think i found an acceptable way to create and manage multiple projects in the same machine....however, you will be able to activate only one project at a time.

What i did was:
- Install iFix
- Open SCU, with the default FIX.scu loaded (Located in C:\Program Files\Proficy\Proficy iFIX\LOCAL).
- In SCU, click File, New
- In "Path Configuration" change ONLY the project path, first option in "Application Paths in Current Project Application" section, to a location of your choice.
- Click "Change Project"
- Choose YES for all prompts till finished
- DONE. You can now customize your project. Just for testing, i copied the folder where i created my project (Project Path in Path Configuration) to a new machine with a fresh iFix install, and the project worked normally.

This procedure worked ONLY when i had the default FIX.scu loaded. Without it, all folders were created empty.

I realy don't know if this is a correct practice or not. But i think it is pretty acceptable. And may be usefull to another noob like me xD

Now its time to focus on OPC Driver "OPC Client v7.41f", i'm trying to use it with RSLinx. Anyone want to help xD? Once again my problem is with "Paths", in OPC Power tool, "Default Path" its not clear what i should write in "Default configuration File Name" and "Default path for configuration file"

I would just add that, sometimes even if you select the default FIX.scu file, the default files aren't created on the folders, for me what solves this is to simply reinstalla ifix entirely (quick), then try the procedure again!