Industrial Machine Network Setup?

russg

Hi,

I'm investigating into what is the proper way to design a factory machine network. My current understanding is that the machine-to-machine communications should have it's own network, but machine to something like an MES / SCADA server should be on a separate network.

Does anyone have any information / blogs / info they could share that would help me understand the best practices, ideally with some topology diagrams?

Many thanks

Russ

When setting up a network in a plant, there are 2 different networks that you MUST consider. the corporate side (network 1) and the plant side (Network 2). the corporate side has the full firewall rules and everything, the plant side does not have a firewall and allows communications between plc's, scada, and SQL.
corporate never needs access to the plant side, management does not understand the workings of a machine and will want to change timers, counters, setpoints, and other items and will create a big mess, (been there done that).

if corporate wants to see data, set up an interface table that is populated by the plant side and can be seen from the corporate side.

james

in addition,
any plant side pc's that have scada / rsview / wonderware will need a separate virus software server to get updates. KEEP the plant side away from the internet due to the lack of firewall and other security matters that will prevent communications between the plant systems. if you must have remote access from outside the plant, use a firewall system such as Kerio control. you must log into that system to gain access to the plant network.

james

"separate virus software server to get updates"

So this software server can get updates from the internet? For example when windows updates is needed.

If you have the infrastructure for it -

Corp Network (Enterprise Side)
Firewall -
DMZ - Servers that handle patching, AV, backups can live here. Also, Servers that allow controlled access to the MFG side like a Citrix Farm or a Terminal Server cluster.
Firewall -
MFG Network (Plant Side)

Then you allow FW rules such that -
Enterprise may talk to the DMZ in a limited fashion.
DMZ may talk to the Enterprise and the MFG in a limited fashion.
MFG may talk to the DMZ in a limited fashion.
Enterprise may NOT talk to the MFG directly and vice versa.

As a starting point.

Further below that - You can segment the MFG network via subnets/vlans/etc to limit the crosstalk between unrelated devices.
YMMV on how much of this you want/need to do.

Further below that - You can segment the MFG network via subnets/vlans/etc to limit the crosstalk between unrelated devices.
YMMV on how much of this you want/need to do.

Thanks for the information. Great help, although I've struggled to understand all the acronyms.

On plant floor level unit operations. If both machines are the same usually what OEMs do is have a private 192.168.xxx.xxx network. Then have them put a NAT switch Device to bring critical IPs mapped to the plant side network.

NAT device just has a table to map private IPs to plant IPs

Private >> Plant
192.168.1.10 >> 10.5.2.1

On plant floor level unit operations. If both machines are the same usually what OEMs do is have a private 192.168.xxx.xxx network. Then have them put a NAT switch Device to bring critical IPs mapped to the plant side network.

NAT device just has a table to map private IPs to plant IPs

Private >> Plant
192.168.1.10 >> 10.5.2.1

Thanks Jim. Do you have any documentation to elaborate on this?