Help with Configuring Eaton Drive on DeviceNet

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I recently had to change out an old eaton drive from our WWTP with a newer DG1 Eaton drive. I had to install a DXG-Net-Device net option card onto the drive. I have set a MAC ID Address on the Drive (16) and chosen the POLL type assembly 21/71 for I/O parameters. These I/O parameters match up with the old Drives I/O parameters .
I have set up the device using RSNetworkx and have downloaded the DG1 drive EDS file from eaton.com to the drive and can successfully see the device net card on RSNetworx and the EDS file under properties.

My issue is I cannot get the PLC to talk with the drive, no command what so ever. My guess is that the RSLogix 5000 programming for the old drive does not match or isn't addressed correctly to talk to the new drive. The Motor is P110 influent pump which uses "LocalS4_N50_POL_O.Data[0]" for output commands and "LocalS4_N50_POL_I.Data[0]" for inputs from the drive. I need to get this Drive talking with the PLC so the operators can use it in Auto with their HMI station.

I'll attach a copy of the PLC program with some screen shots. If anyone has experience with DeviceNet and commissioning drives with them I would be very appreciative for some help.

DeviceNet2.JPG

Attachments

• Tritech_Compactlogix.zip
    443.6 KB · Views: 3
That RSNetworx project looks like it doesn't have the Scanlist in it; all the devices are either "not slaves" or are "slaves without masters".

You need to upload the Scanlist from the 1769-SDN and look at where the Node 16 device is Mapped (and make sure it's the same as the old device).

Kenb,

I recently had to download RSNetworkx to this laptop. All of the DeviceNet was previously set up with a programmers computer and different version of RSNetworkx. When I clicked on the Scanner module and uploaded this was the next screen I got. Where do I go from here?

DeviceNet4.JPG

By the looks of it this device (16) hasn't been downloaded to the scanner and all of the I/O remains unmapped. When I look under the Scanner Module Inputs and Outputs Node 16 doesn't appear but the other do. Forgive me but I've had very little experience with DeviceNet and RSNetworx but I'm willing to learn

** EDIT

I'd love to even talk with someone over the phone about this. I realize you have to put node 16 onto the scan list and most likely download to the DN Scanner. My concerns are of course download bad upload good kind of mentality. Because this Version of RSNetworx is newly downloaded to this new laptop and doesn't have all the devices recognized I'm hesitant to download to the DN scanner just in case I download unrecognized devices onto the scanner and completely screw the other devices that are currently working just fine on the DN Scanner. Like I said I'd love to have a phone call with anyone willing to provide me with some details on this.

Last edited:
just in case I download unrecognized devices onto the scanner and completely screw the other devices that are currently working just fine on the DN Scanner.

You are wise to be concerned about this outcome. Transitioning between a correctly configured workstation and a fresh one often causes unpleasantness like deleted scanlist entries and default parameter downloads.

Any chance you can set up TeamViewer or Google Remote Desktop on that computer ?

The first step is to get the Electronic Data Sheet files for those "unknown" devices.

Right-click in RSLinx Classic (not even in RSNetworx for DeviceNet) to read the Identity objects of those things so we can find the right vendor, device, and revision.

Another thing to think about: the "LocalS4_N50_POL_O.Data[0]" structure shows that somebody ran the "DeviceNet Automatic Code Generator" to create a couple of Input and Output data handling routines.

So the data that's "mapped" into the DeviceNet scanner module isn't used in its raw format: it's run through this automatically generated abstraction code.

What "LocalS4_N50_POL_O.Data[0]" is telling you is that you're addressing a DeviceNet Scanner in the local chassis, in Slot 4, and that's the Polled I/O data from Node 50.

But wait... you said this drive was at DeviceNet node number 16.

Could that have been a typo or telephone error ? "Fifty" sounds like "Sixteen" when there's an air compressor running in the background.

Invalid Slave vs. Removed from Configuration

I'd like to offer a little bit of information about those unrecognized devices.

When a device doesn't have an Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) file registered on your computer, RSLinx and RSNetworx can't recognize what it is.

While you can create a bare-bones "stub" EDS for a device, in general RSNetworx cannot adjust its parameters, or insert it into a scanlist, or configure its settings until it knows what it is and what features it supports.

That's what the software is trying to tell you when it describes those devices as "Invalid Slaves".

The other major thing to be careful with is when you do find the EDS files for those devices. All of a sudden they'll show up in RSNetworx with an icon.

But RSNetworx will only know what they are. They won't know anything else about their internal settings. If you were to "download" to one of them, RSNetworx would write the default settings from the EDS file into it. That's bad when you have a device that needs to be set up for a particular purpose, like a motor overload or VFD. Even something simple like an analog input module would end up with default values, like 0-10V scaling, while the desired setup might be 4-20 mA.

So once you do get the EDS files registered for those, be sure to "upload" the values from them.

The "Removed from Configuration" is a label that's specific to the 1769-SDN Scanlist. The 1769-SDN knows that a particular device at that node number is in the scanlist, but it doesn't appear in the project file.

That usually appears when a device has literally been removed from the system, but you can also get it when the device was simply turned off at the time that the RSNetworx for DeviceNet file was created from scratch by scanning the network and uploading from the recognizable devices.

Old stuff and New Stuff

I noticed that the *.ACD file you posted is Version 15 of RSLogix 5000. That's about 10 years old, so there have been some changes to related software.

In particular, RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx for DeviceNet both took a jump to a new way of managing EDS files (SQL, not Windows Registry) about the same time as Studio 5000 went to v21.

So don't install RSLinx Classic v3.x, or RSNetworx for DeviceNet v21, unless you install them BOTH.

I'm mentioning this because sometimes when there are problems to solve, folks instinctively install the newest version of the software they're troubleshooting.

Thanks for the info Ken,

The reason the MAC ID for the eaton drive is 16 is simply because that's what I set it at fooling around. Had I known that N50 was specifically going to poll data from node 50 I would have set the drives Mac ID at 50 instead of 16. I'll do what you set and hop online with RSLogix and find out what the devices are. Everything in the MCC is basically run off of device net with a Smart disconnect switch that controls the contactor. I know these have since been discontinued so I'm hoping I can still find the EDS file for these devices.

I'm using RSNetworx version 24 and not entirely sure what version of RSlinx since I did not download it to the laptop. The system SCADA system was created over 10 years ago and is quite complicated for how simple of a system was actually needed. Since I have zero DN experience this system always proves troublesome for me. I really need to take a course in DN through automationtraining.ca since they offer it at a reasonable price.

Once I discover the devices I'll see about registering the devices with an EDS file that matches so RSNetworks and see the device. I'm sure i'll have many more questions.

Merry Christmas Ken,

Tex

This topic was rattling around in my head over the weekend and I wanted to add some thoughts.

You mentioned that the new Eaton DG1 drive's Polled I/O assemblies were set up for "21/71" to match the older drive. That's good !

I/O Assemblies 20 and 70, and I/O Assemblies 21 and 71 are standard ODVA data assemblies for AC drives, called a "Generic Drive Profile". They were created for exactly this sort of situation where a newer device replaced an older device.

Because the bits and words always mean the same thing in Assembly 21 and Assembly 71, you can use a modern drive to replace one from fifteen years ago, or even switch vendors as long as they support those same Assemblies.

The gotcha may be that your I/O Connection in the DeviceNet Scanlist is set up with Electronic Keying to require that the device be the exact same Vendor, Device Type and Product Code.

Typically, Product Code would be different for a DG1 drive versus an older drive, even if they both are encoded to be Cutler-Hammer (vendor) AC Drives (Device Type). Product Code is generally also different for different voltage (240 vs. 480 v 575) or amperage capacity drives. The goal is to have secondary methods for preventing the wrong device from being controlled just because a Network Address was put in wrong.

But in your case it might be that all you need to do is set the MAC ID on the drive to 50, then edit the DeviceNet Scanlist to un-check the Electronic Keying entries for that drive. No re-mapping or other fussing around necessary.

Modern 1756-DNB modules (v7.001 or later firmware) and 1747-SDN (Series D 9.001 and later) even let you do that edit in RUN mode.

It's still a good idea to get all the device EDS files registered, and make sure you are able to upload all the configurations from all the devices, especially the DeviceNet Scanner, before proceeding.

Last edited: