Get online with a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
It looks like we still got a few of these GE PLC around. A 90-30 and a Series one. Hoping someone familiar with these can help me with these questions below. The longer term plan is to replace them with AB.

1. From searching, it looks like Series One is the same as Automation Direct DL 305 but 90-30 is a different thing completely, correct?

For the 90-30 PLC, we found a copy of VersaPro 2.03 CD, we got it installed in trial mode in XP virtual machine but can't get comm going even after check for everything. We were able to open an offiline file though.

2. I also found a Proficy Machine Editon V5.00 CD today. Can I run this on Win 7?

3. Does VersaPro or Proficy ME work like RSLogix where the offline file reflect the comm setting the PLC port is set to? It seems weird that both port1 and port2 are set to "RTU" in the offline program.

The 90-30 is a model 363, there are 3 comm port I see, one DB15 on the Power supply, one DB15 on the CPU, and a RJ11 on the CPU. both DB15 are wired up and goes "somewhere".

4. The RJ11 is open, can I use the RJ11 to communicate? The manual shows a cable IC693CBL316 which I can make.

-I emailed GE about the price to upgrade the Proficy ME to the latest edition, haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,

The 90-30 was GE's successor product to the Series One. When GE started selling the 90-30 Koyo, the manufacturer of Series One product began selling it through TI as the TI305. Later, Siemens purchased TI's PLC business and continued to offer the product. Still later Koyo formed Automation Direct (originally PLC Direct) and continued to market the product as the DL305.
VersaPro was obsolete by the time Windows 7 was first released. It might install, it might even work, but as a new user when you run into problems you won't know for sure whether the problem is your lack of familiarity or incompatibility with the OS.
The oldest PME CD I could quickly lay my hands on was version 5.5. The IPI document for that version doesn't mention Windows 7 as a supported OS.
Yes, the offline project file tells you what the port settings are, assuming that the file is what has actually been sent to the PLC. The RJ11 (Port 1) on the CPU363 can be used for program upload/download. However, if it is already configured as an RTU slave, you'll need to go through the power supply port to change it. It is somewhat odd that someone would change the port to RTU and then not use it. The default setting is SNP.

Update, I'm able to see comm light working on my USB-Serial adopter after reinstalling VersaPro per geniusintraining's instruction on installing via "compaitbility mode" in a virtual Win 7 32 bit install. I wasn't able to see this before.

So, thanks, I'm quite confident this should work now. I'll also get the cable just in case our old cable got issues.

One more question, can Proficy ME and VersaPro exists on the same machine? Does the installation of Proficy ME on Win 7 32 require the same "compatibility" fix?