RS Logix 5000 upload

Rson

So, it has been a while since I've had to work with RS Logix 5000. Here is the situation:

It was installed on a very old laptop. We lost the files for a program in the field. I will be going into the field and uploading the program from the PLC - but as far as I can tell the company does NOT have a backup.

This has some remote blocks and a ethernet/IP valve stack. Do I have to worry about having the exact EDS files used when I upload?

Are there any other pitfalls I should know about before heading in the field? It will be 5 hours away and no internet access.

Thanks!

If the I/O connections to the third party device were done as "Generic Adapter" connections, then the EDS files are irrelevant. If they were done as "EDS-based AOP" connections, then you might need the EDS files already installed on your computer in order to upload from scratch.

What might happen in the latter case is that the I/O connections get uploaded, and you can go online and do most things with the controller, but you won't be able to edit and re-download that program because those I/O objects are corrupted.

Is the processor on Ethernet? If its ControlNet, you'll need a comm. adapter for your laptop. Is this a newer install?

Thanks for the tips guys. I do happen to have the version since we include it in our filenames and I have a copy of an older version of the software - before remote blocks were added.

I'm planning to try and upload and save a file right away, then work from there.

Heading out tomorrow, I'll update with any issues I may/may not have had for those in the future who search for this.