Connect Stratix 5700 to Plant VLAN

seth350

Good evening all,

Going forward, our IT group wants us to use managed switches in the machines we network with.

I installed a managed switch awhile back and I wasn’t sure if it should be configured to have the same vlan id as the plants, so I left it at 1. I left all of the ports in vlan 1 as well. The switch went offline a couple nights ago, and after chatting with IT all day we got it back online. It was a configuration in their port settings that had been changed. Since then, I now have an error in the Stratix dashboard saying vlan id mismatch. I may have had it all along but just noticed it. Other than that, everything connects fine.

Some background, our plant has one physical copper network with a vlan installed for Automation devices. It’s vlan id is 200 and it also has an ip of 192.168.16.1.

To make my switch happy again, it seems to me that I need to create a new vlan on the Stratix and give it an id of 200 to match the plant vlan.

But, should I configure it for no IP address, give it the same ip as vlan 200 (192.168.16.1), or assign it a different ip address? (192.168.16.177)

Then, should all ports be assigned to the created vlan or only the port that is physically connected to vlan 200? Or, only the devices that need to communicate to vlan 200?

I think the answer will depend on a couple of things:

Did IT connect you to an access port or a trunk port? If it's access, then their switch will tag all your incoming traffic for vlan200....you would not do that.

In any case, only *they* will be able to answer this for you.

Also, check out TechConnect document 790534. There's some other stuff in there (including this topic) that might help.

B.

“We don’t support 3rd party or PLC switches.” -IT

They have it on a trunk. I’m getting an error with Native VLAN mismatch so that seems to me that it is indeed a trunk.