rs linx

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a EMBA machine that is running on a PLC 5/30
The front end computer is also from Allen Bradly running windows 3.11
The hard drive crashed (old machine) and my IT had it recovered, cloned and put on a new hard drive. The front end computer comes up with what it should but does not see the PLC, The OEM (EMBA) thinks I might have lost the RSLinx
licence. Does any one know how to load it. Would it load using a E-MOVE like a laptop. There is an A drive on the front end computer.

THANKS

What program is running on this computer that may or may not use RSLinx?

I don't remember AB making PC but I could be wrong on that.

Yes, they probably corrupted the RSLinx license when they cloned the hard drive. It might even have been WinLinx if it's really Windows 3.11.

EVMOVE was the classic utility for moving these licenses to and from 3.5 inch floppy disks.

Do you have the original floppy diskette ?

I don't know if RA will create new license floppies anymore at all. It can't hurt to ask.

It is the set up computer and it is running windows 3.11 It lets them store orders to re set up the machine like CNC. The tower on the PC has Allen Bradley part numbers (I have pictures) I do have floppy's with RSI Master Key's. Not sure if this is what it takes since it is Windows 3.11

I do not have the Original floppy disk. I have some of them but most are corrupt from sitting in a control cabinet for years.

Unfortunately the front end computer makes all the manual set ups as well so I am down.

There's a phrase for your situation and it involves canoe propulsion.

If I were in your shoes I would be talking to my local RA office about trading the emergency use of an old master floppy for a purchase order for an upgrade project.

Edit: You mentioned you have some old master key floppies.

Without arguing the fact that you shouldn't have those if you're not an RA technician or salesman, you could try to use EVMOVE to move the activations off those floppies onto the new hard drive. Or just see if the software will run with the floppy in the A: drive.

My first step would be to run EVMOVE or EVMOVECF to see if they will tell you about any activations that might be present on the new hard drive.

Last edited: