Mitsubishi newbe

paulB

Hello everybody. I am getting new job very soon. My new employer uses exclusively Mitsubishi PLC. I am not new to PLC, but most of my experience with the Allen Bradley Control Logix, SLC-500 and old Automax. I have zero experience with Mitsubishi brand. Does anyone can give recommendations how to make transition as smooth as possible, what possible pitfalls I may face, and what significant differences are between Allen Bradley and Mitsubishi? Should I start my learning from reading PLCs manuals or from GX developer software manual? I am not sure what particular models of PLC, and what software is used by employer. Are there analogy in the PLC networking between Allen Bradley products and Mitsubishi?
Thanks in advance for advice.
PaulB.
:rolleyes:

Mitshbishi PLC's

Hi Paul.

If you are well-versed with Allen Bradley, I do not think you will have much trouble with Mitsubishi. I have found them to be very reliable systems.

I have not kept up with the newest developments in the software. I went from Mitsubishi to Allen Bradley. A few years ago we were still using Medoc, which is DOS based. There was also a Windows version on the market at that time.

One huge advantage I find with Mitsubishi is always the "one software-one cable" concept. Unlike AB, who seems to like to sell a new cable and saftware package with each new device. Even RS Linx gets confused from time to time.

If you are in the Michigan area, check out Sunsource-Fauver. They were offering training classes.

NJG

Hi!

I've got some experience with Mitsubishi and Medoc, which I now intend to leave....
The reason is that it's too much work (and strain on my brain) with Medoc (DOS). It's good enough for simple logics, but for more advanced programming, special functions and subroutines...., I find it is not so easy to have the overview over the program.
I have no experience with the GX IEC tool, which is probably much better for what I am missing...
But somebody else forced the AB Logix family on me, and I am happy for it! So I am going that way now!!!!

The Mitsubishi PLC's are good products, although I think it is easier to get programming errors and malfunction these days, compared to the older models FX, F1. It might be me that is the problem, but I am experiencing programs that will not perform what i see on the monitor!

I have not used Mitsubishi network either, but I don't see why it should not work:) on MelsecNet you should be able to exchange bits easily.
One thing I think is good about Mitsubishi, is when you are using expansion units, usually you don't need any setup! Just plug it in, and the I/O's are assigned automatically.

Talking about network, and I have seen nothing like AB on ethernet. That works for me!

Our Mitsubishi distributor sells the E-terminals (panel), so if you are getting to work with those, ENJOY! Great products!

i agree with Norbert, you should have no problem with Mitsubishi. we had one piece of equipment come in equipped with Mitsubishi and i was reprogamming within 2 days. got it running right, then they shipped it out. but i liked the system, i found it easy to work with. good luck.

Thanks everybody. I have downloaded GX developer. It will work for 15 days in demo mode, and I'll play with it.
PaulB