Beckhoff plc cx8090 Program

Keta-

Hello folks! Long time lurker here, my first post so be gentle..
We recently replaced a beckhoff cx8090 controller.. and i was asked if i could download the program out from it. We don't have the original project file.

I tryed connecting to it with cat5 cabel and twincat 2. But i coulden't find the cx8090 controller.. any ideas? Im bit lost here.. i all ready checked the cx8090 manual from beckhoff site.

Do you know if it has been assigned and IP address? That could make a big difference on how you connect to it.

The program will be stored on the SD flash card. If the old card is still good, you can place it into the new controller.

There is a chance that you will not be able to upload the program from the CX8090. It depends if the original programmer downloaded the source and not just the complied program.

We replaced it with siemens plc, our plant uses mostly siemens. I don't know about the ip adress thing.. This system was installed before i started.. Id just like to see the program if possible. If not id like to know can i "reset" the controller so i could re use it somewhere else.. The flash card should be good still.

Thx for the answers.

There are 2 independent IP addresses on the controller. If one of them is still set to DHCP, you will have the easiest chance of getting the program (if the source was downloaded).

Plug into the top Ethernet port with your laptop. Make sure your laptop is set to automatic IP address. Wait for about 2 minutes and your laptop and the controller will get automatic addresses of 169.254.xxx.xxx

Using the TwinCAT System Manager, use the Add Route - Search function to see if it finds the controller. If it does not, move down to the second Ethernet port and try again.

If you see a controller listed, then click on it and select Add Route. The user name and password does not matter on the CX8090.

If you go that far, you can now try to Open From Target in System Manager.

The next step would be to use TwinCAT PLC Control to try to open the program from the controller. This step depends on whether the previous programmer downloaded the source.

Ok do i need to flip the dip switches?
I did forget about the DIP switches because I actually never used them. According to the documentation, you should be able to set 10 on and 9 off to force the controller to use DHCP for the 2nd or 3rd Ethernet ports, then everything I described should work.