Banner IVU Plus BCR - Any software to interface and setup the IVU Plus BCR ?

Good Evening ,

I purchased a Banner IVU Plus BCR , and took notice there is a CD in the box. Not too familer with Barcode Scanners. My question is , is there Banner software that you can use to interface with and use to setup the IVU Plus BCR ? I am familer with Cognex and Insight Software , and you are able to see the results and also a wider picture.

Also , I am setting this IVU Plus up to interface , via Ethernet/IP , with a CompactLogix PLC. After I did this , I took notice in Controller Tags I have......

Banner_IVU_Plus:I
Banner_IVU_Plus:O
Banner_IVU_Plus:C

I am having a difficult time determining what bit , INT , etc. for triggering , Pass / Fail , etc. I haven't seen any documentation descibing these tags. It is probably something I am overlooking .

If so , I'm sorry.

Thanks so much in advance.

I'm slowly wrapping my head around this Banner IVU Plus BCR . It is communicating with my CompactLogix and I found the trigger bit , Pass and Fail counters. What I don't understand is the Pass Conter in .......

Banner_IVU_Plus:I.Data[8] Value is -25073

Whenever I trigger the sensor and it passes then value decrements.
-25073 , Pass -25072 , Pass -25071 , etc.

Why is this ? Any advice ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's potentially a signed vs unsigned integer problem.

In Rockwell land, every integer is a signed integer - that is, the first bit is the sign bit, and the remaining 7/15/31 bits represent the value. But many devices use unsigned integers; that is, all 8/16/32 bits represent the value, and they only do positive numbers.

So, if you have a device that sends an incrementing unsigned integer, once it gets big enough to set the 8th/16th/32nd bit to "1", then the value as read by an AB PLC will go negative, and start counting back toward zero.

You can get around this by COPying a 16-bit word (INT) into the lower 16 bits of a 32-bit word (DINT), this making sure that all 16 bits are interpreted as value bits, not sign bits.

The other possibility is that it's not actually using the whole of Banner_IVU_Plus:I.Data[8] for the pass counter. Quite often devices will pack several things into one INT for data transfer speed reasons. So you might have 8 of those 16 bits that represent a binary count of your pass rate, and then the other 8 bits could be discrete status bits, like "ready" or "online" or "triggered", meaning that looking at Banner_IVU_Plus:I.Data[8] as a whole is largely meaningless - you'll have to split out the data into individual tags once it hits the PLC.

What I tend to do with devices like this is to create an AOI that takes the whole input data image and maps it into meaningful tags - so grab your 8 or 16 bits that represent your "pass" counter, and map them into and INT called BarcodeScanner.PassCount, and so on. Future you will thank you for it.