5/04 communication

f16bmathis

I have a 5/04 that has a DH+ port plugged into the touch screen, a PROG. TERM. port that is not used, and an RS232 port that is plugged into a (servo controller?) well, something.

I have tried several cables (anything that will fit) and used both the PROG TERM and RS232 port and have not been able to get comms going in RSLinx.

Do I need to go out and buy the $1500 to $3000 1784-U2DHP? Cause I'm not doing that!

Thanks!

Do you have a offline version of the program? If so how is the 9 pin port set up? DF1, DH485 or ASCI?

As I understand it the PROG TERM is DH+ so it is no good to a PC without an adapter.

We sell a aftermarket U2DHP for just under 1k if you go that way.... I would also look at the offline copy if you have one to see what the settings are in the DB9 port it maybe or if you have a manual for the drive and see how it's configured

Edit... just so you know both top ports are connected internally and they are both DH plus

Last edited:
If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've dealt with a 5/04), you should be able to use a 1747-CP3 cable for the RS232 port along with the DF1 driver inside of RSLinx. This is how I used to connect to the processor before I got a U2DHP.

edit-
Also, try to make sure to not use a MicroLogix cable (1761-CBL-PM02) on the programming port. I had a maintenance technician plug one in one time to troubleshoot the PLC and as soon as he plugged it in, it somehow killed the CPU. Could have been just coincidence.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've dealt with a 5/04), you should be able to use a 1747-CP3 cable for the RS232 port along with the DF1 driver inside of RSLinx. This is how I used to connect to the processor before I got a U2DHP.

He can't, as he stated there is a servo (or something) plugged into the DB9, so the RS232 maybe configured for DH485, ASCII, Modbus, etc

He can't, as he stated there is a servo (or something) plugged into the DB9, so the RS232 maybe configured for DH485, ASCII, Modbus, etc
If it is configured for DH485 then he could use one of your 1747-UIC units. I have one and it works great.