RS View 32 Making Changes

Yes I have seen .RVS mentioned when searching online but did not find a lot of detail.

It will be a flash drive or usb removable drive. The IT guy has several sizes of usb external drives and flash drives and one 480GB flash drive to transport it.

Can you expand more on CTRL+P?

If the PC has the right license and isn't locked down, pressing CTRL + P will bring up a box which lets you edit the application.

In the programs most of the HMI pushbuttons are just XIC in the logic so whats the best way to handle them like a one shot after them perhaps?

When you say a "set" type button would that be a multi state button in AB HMI language? or the maintained pushbutton option?

Neither. There is a "set" command or something like that which is a command to write a value to a tag. The buttons write a "1" to a tag (or what ever value you choose).

The PLC deals with writing a "0" back to the tag after the action is complete.

A multistate button will toggle between values and a maintained button will toggle between 0 and 1, so you can end up with a button that you have to press more than once if RSView "thinks" it needs to write a 0 next and the PLC already did that.

I have two methods for dealing with stuck buttons. If there are a boatload of them, I will just OTU the address after triggering required PLC logic. If there are few enough to tie each one to a timer, I will examine the button and operate a TON timer. I use the TT bit (Timer Timing) of the timer in the logic in place of the button, and use the DN bit of the timer to OTU (or CLR) the address. That let's the programmer see things happening by allowing the state of the button to remain active for a couple of seconds. The TT bit will only be active for the duration of the timer preset.

Take my comments with a grain of salt. I have worked on one RSView32 system about a year ago, but mainly that was just to replace PLC-5 tags with Logix tags. Prior to that was around 2006, so my description may not match exact terminology.

The PLC programs that are Logix have the tags as Station1_Primary_Pump_Start and so on with that can I export the tags from the Logix program and export the tag DB from Rs View 32 and make the changes in excel and re-import?

Can the tag name in the tag DB in Rs View 32 be the same name as the Logix tag?

Found an old laptop with the development software also as well as runtime license.

Can I restore the project to this laptop and make changes and export from laptop and back to server without losing catalogs and such?

There are lots of project directories with the same name but v1, v2 etc.

How can I tell which one is the active production running project?

RSView32 has a "Run-time" version that can run your application but has no editing capabilities. There is also a "Works" edition with run-time and editing capability.

RSView32 has a window called the Project Manager window that contains an Edit Mode tab and a Run Mode tab. Pressing CTRL + P would bring up that window. The idea being that while the application is running you don't want users to see that window. But if you knew the secret handshake, you could open the Project Manager to view items or make changes. At the top of that window it will show you the name of the file (ie MyApp.RSV) but not the folder where it is located.

If you click "Project" from the Windows menu across the top and select Project Path it will the default path settings for that project.

The PLC programs that are Logix have the tags as Station1_Primary_Pump_Start and so on with that can I export the tags from the Logix program and export the tag DB from Rs View 32 and make the changes in excel and re-import?

Can the tag name in the tag DB in Rs View 32 be the same name as the Logix tag?

I imagine you can export both and manually make changes. RSView32 does have a stand-alone Logix 5000 Tag Import tool. Look under the Start Menu for RSView32 Tools. And yes, the tag names can be the same in both systems and doing so will help cut down on confusion.

Found an old laptop with the development software also as well as runtime license.

Can I restore the project to this laptop and make changes and export from laptop and back to server without losing catalogs and such?

The only concern is if there are components of the project that are not stored in our project folder. Also, if you are using any ActiveX controls these can be problematic if the component versions do not match on the two computers. But outside of that, I don't see an issue as long as the RSView32 versions match.

I mentioned on an earlier post that you could use the "Transfer" tool to move the application from one PC to another. It is actually called the "Transport Utility". Again, Windows Start menu and look for RSView Tools to find it.

OG

The virtulization of the machine will depend on what type of license file he has.
the old evris or the factory talk typ. i would try to virtualize the system if possible just to get a good backup. then try to run rsview.
james

What file type would this method create?

It would be filename.gfx in the GFX folder of the project.

Also when coping a project from your development machine you do not need to copy the folders:
ACTLOG
ALMLOG
cache
DLGLOG

That can save you some time as those can get very large.