GuardMaster 440C-CR30 Safety relay - Type 5 Internal Safety Synch Fault

ControlSysNick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 2 GuardMaster 440C-CR30 Safety relays in the same panel.

One of them sporadically faults (approx. 15 times per 8 hour period) with the following fault log message:

Type 5 Internal Safety Synch Fault
Code 1 Compare UART data during operation

The fault log shows repeated instances of this fault.

The other CR30 works fine.

Based on one of the Rockwell KB articles, we replaced the 24 VDC power supply in this panel to a larger one (was 2.5A, is now 10A, so plenty of capacity) and made sure that the output voltage was very close 24 V. Unfortunately this didn't help, so we swapped out the problem safety relay and this didn't resolve the problem either.

The recovery method we use is to cycle the power to the safety relays.

The firmware version of both CR30s is A10.01

The version of CCW I am using is 10.01.

Interestingly enough, the version of the "Installed Components" from the Help->About menu shows the version of the Safety Relay component as 6.01, see below:

Connected Components Workbench
Version 10.01.00 - Standard Edition
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/programmable-controllers/connected-components-workbench-software
Copyright © 2016 Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Installed Components:
Micro800 Controller
Copyright © 2016 Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Unified Device Configuration
Copyright © 2015 Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Wizards
Copyright © 2016 Rockwell Automation, Inc. All rights reserved.

DeviceLogix Configuration Tool
Copyright © 2012 Rockwell Automation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

PanelView Component DesignStation
© 2016 Rockwell Automation Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Guardmaster 440C safety relay

450L Safety Light Curtain

I expected that the Installed Component version of the Guardmaster 440C Safety Relay to be 10.01. If any of you are running CCW 10.01, would you please let me know which version you show installed on your computer?

Finally, have any of your run into this problem and if you have, what was your solution? (I have emailed a support ticket opened up on this with Rockwell, but thought it worth checking here as well).

Thanks!

Nick

Are you sure the safety function is verified? It seems like the unit is faulting more often than they should on a non-verified application, it's just a guess.

My understanding (as taken from the CR30 manual) is that the CR30 will fault after 24 hours of operation if the program has not been verified. Cycling the power, buys another 24 hours of operation.

During development and testing, my expectation is that a non-verified program will operate the same way as a verified program, except that the C30 will fault after 24 hours of operation. Have you found this not to be the case?

To be honest, I played with one of those 440C's for a couple months and decided they weren't for me. In my "try this and see if it breaks" mode of testing I intentionally left a program unverified until it expired a couple of times, but I don't remember how the fault was enumerated.

Solution to Sporadic, but Frequent Type 5 Internal Safety Synch Fault

We were able to solve the problem we were having with the CR30 relay and our solution may be useful to anyone who runs into the same situation.

I believe the problem is due to a bug in the CR30 relay's firmware and perhaps an unusual set of circumstances that Rockwell did not include in its testing of these safety relays.

In fact, we found 2 ways of solving our problem.

The problem was triggered by our controls project consisting of a number of phases. In the first phase we did not have everything wired to the safety relays, as not all the equipment was installed yet. However, we did wire the relays as completely as we could, which involved inter-wiring between the two CR30 safety relays that we had in our system. The purpose of the inter-wiring between the safety relays was so that the each CR30 could "tell" the other safety relay what state it was in, based on its inputs. What we found was that it was the inter-wiring between the two CR30 safety relays that caused occasional (a number of times per shift) faults for the CR30 safety relay we tagged as SR1 in our drawing.

Solution 1: Disconnect unused (in the CR30 program) wires from the inputs of the safety relay we designated as SR1.

Solution 2: Use the yet unused (in the Safety Relay Program) inputs to SR1 (from outputs on SR2) in "dummy" logic.

Both of these solutions eliminated the sporadic faults we were encountering.

Nick