Upgrade Factorytalk View SE project from Version 9 to 11

lunenburger

I have a computer with a FactoryTalk View SE local project running version 9.

I would like to upgrade the project to version 11 as we have multiple machines that are running version 11.

I have been searching for hours and cannot find a clear way to upgrade my .apa project from version 9 to 11.

any help would be greatly appreciated....

forgnc, OP is using SE, not ME. I am just starting off in SE myself, so would be interested to hear the correct answer, but can you restore the APA in version 11 and create a new SE Client? It is kind of mind boggling how different the two programs are despite looking nearly identical.

Let's assume for a moment that you are installing v11 on a separate PC from where you currently have v9 installed.

On your v9 machine, use the FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager to create a backup. This is a newer version of the tool that was called Application Manager in earlier versions. This tool will create an APB file instead of the older format APA. Hopefully, it is available in v9. If not, then we might need more details.

Then on your v11 machine, use that same tool to restore the APB file. If you only have access to the APA, the v11 tool can still read the older APA files.

Be aware that FactoryTalk View SE creates either Local or Network (Distributed) applications. The APA file is primarily for local applications. If you have a distributed network application and only the APA file, it may not contain the entire project. The APB format handles both so it is preferred.

If you are upgrading your PC from v9 to v11 then simply open the application to begin the upgrade. But ideally you would upgrade a new machine so you would have the existing system intact through this process.

OG

Last edited:
Sorry for asking such a simple question.....

I have been working with Factorytalk Version 10 and lower so long that the change of icon for the application manager, combined with the separation of SE and ME application managers in version 11 totally threw me off.

My SE project is local, so i created the .apa file in 9, opened it in version 11 using SE application manager project restore and it converted with no issues.

thanks for the advice...

Excellent. Local applications were much easier to backup and restore than Network before the new (separated) Application Manager Tools.

Glad to see you got it working. 🍻

OG