Visual Basic Editor in RSLogix500

pimpim32

Hi everybody,

First I would like to thanks to all guys around, up till
now anytime I need anything it was enough to make an search
to your forum and most of the the time you guys already
beat up the subject to death :)

The last one was about ASCII conversions, ASCII display etc.
I found my answers, but still I do have one question being that I would like to try all conversion and math in Visual Basic Editor

I have a standard edition of RSLogix500, so I do not have
Visual Basic Editor included.

Before I will try it, do anybody knows if I have MS VisualStudio can I use the VisualBasic from it to create macros for RSLogix500?

I am fairly beginner with VisualBasic, I used before to do some
projects in VisualC++, in basic I just played to see how commands work.

However my question is if anybody is having some VB macros samples for RSLogix500 it will be a huge help .

Thanks again everybody
Marian

Well... RSLogix software allows the creation of macros in VBA.. Visual Basic for Applications.. which is NOT visual basic.

In addition, it stores the VBA Code ('Macros') in the .RSP, .RSS, or .ACD file, so I doubt you would be able to use VB to manipulate the RSLogix object model, and store the resultant code in a way that would be usable within RSLogix.

Of course I may be wrong.

hi rdrast,

guess you are right, however i downloaded rslogix automation interface from ab site to start to understand objects used in rslogix, basically i can write my program in notepad, or in ms visualbasic where i can verify it for syntax, and after that if someone will be nice enough can compile my source with rslogix vba and post it for everybody (basically will be about generating checksum for ascii string, and converting real numbers to a string of a fixed form/length, converting hex to string).

or maybe meantime this idea of mine will be of any value to my company and they will decide to upgrade from rslogix standard to professional (which i doubt, but not impossible)

thanks

marian

so nobody has rslogix500pro to help me with a demo macro?

i already finished a small program in visual basic to generate
my string and calculate the checksum.

now i would like to try the similar thing in rsl500 VBE

The last time I asked somebody from RS about the VBA functionality with 500 and 5, I was told that it's more of a placeholder than anything... It really isn't functional right now, but may be in the future.

Don't know if that's still true or not...

i also do not know if it is true, but i'd like to see.

however my company's vendor said an upgrade from
standard to pro will be 2024cad o_O
'cause includes the emulator, rsnetworx, linxlite etc.
he was also saying that vb is functional

we have emulator, we do not need rsnetworx ( which is free up to 6 nodes) etc.

too bad they do not have un upgrade just for VB

I have RSL500 Standard too, it appears that it can run macros created with VBA but you can not create or edit them.

I have not tried this yet but may in the next few days. All MS Office products are supposed to have VBA, my Office 2003 Word I have verified.

It seems to me you could use any of those to develop a macro and use it with RSL500 Standard but I have not determined all the details involved yet.

If I get a chance I will lonk into it more.

i have already tried something like this

i used excel for this idea.
if you want to open any macro you cannot unless you
are importing it through VBE ( excel's VBE)

after that you can edit it and save it on your excel workbook.

that means for the moment that if i want to run a macro
into rslogix500 first i have to import it through rslogix500 VBE.
which brings me again at my first problem, i need pro :(

hope i am wrong :)

also my vendor said that his VB guy recomended anyway to stick with rslogix500 VBE due to the fact rslogix500 is having a lot of
different objects only for himself.

anyway, i am still curious if anybody is having an rslogix500 macro to see if i can import it to some office VBE and look at it.