Dual Compressor Logixpro Help please

vietkidx

Part 3 – Coping with Large Demands for Compressed Air​
Your current program should be suitable for maintaining the desired pressure range as long as
the plant air consumption remains relatively modest. As the plant air consumption approaches
100% capacity however, it becomes obvious that we will need to have both compressors running​
in order to satisfy this increased loading.

Modify your program so that the second pressure switch PE2 will detect when the storage tank
pressure drops below our current minimum setting of 110PSI. This situation will occur if a single
compressor is unable to keep up to the load and the tank pressure continues to drop. If and when
the pressure drops to 109PSI, the idle compressor should be started, and both compressors will​
then continue to run until the tank is up to full pressure.

It is likely that your modifications will also result in both compressors being run when the system
is first started and the tank pressure is initially being brought to within range of the pressure
switches. This action will reduce the time it takes to bring the plant air system up to pressure, and
is therefore considered desirable. Please ensure that your system does actually operate in this
fashion.
Once you have created your program, download it to the PLC and thoroughly test out its
operation at both 50% and 100% rates of flow. When at 50% loading, the compressors should
alternate with each taking a turn. At 100% loading, both compressors should engage once it is
detected that the pressure is continuing to drop.
Your program should now be able to handle both light and heavy demands for air quite
effectively. While this current solution likely performs as well as most systems employing relay
logic, with just a bit more effort you should still be able to even improve upon this. Before
continuing to the next part, run your system with the flow rate adjusted to 78%, 80%, and then
82%, and carefully note the result. You should now have a good idea of where improvements
please help me out i got this so far i can get the two dual compressors to alternate but i cant get the one dual compressor to go full then drain then both start up...​
might be made.

part3.png

You have to use the PE1 pressure switch to start the 1st-run compressor (whether it be Compressor #1 or #2 as determined by the alternator bit B3/0), and then use PE2 to start the 2nd-run compressor if the 1st cannot keep up (pressure continues to drop even if one is running). You do this by carefully setting the Setpoint and Span of each pressure switch as follows:
PE1___________________PE2______ 
Setpoint =120___ Setpoint = 120
Span = 20________Span = 21_____

See the attached picture for more details. If you want to add even better control, use Subroutine 3 to control the LED display, and Subroutine 4 for "when 1 is not enough", with 2 additional timers, T4:2 that measures how long it takes a single compressor to fill the tank. If it is longer that 63 seconds, then start the 2nd unit. Set timer T4:2 to "630" x 0.1 seconds. Then timer T4:3 adds and measures this additional control function:

IF PRESSURE DROPS IN LESS THAT 31 SECONDS AT GREATER THAN 48% FLOW, THEN RUN BOTH COMPRESSORS IN THE NEXT CYCLE.

Set timer T4:3 to "310" x 0.1 seconds.

Dual Compressor Exercise 4.jpg

Last edited:
Please help me out. I got this so far: I can get the two dual compressors to alternate, but I can't get the one dual compressor to go full, then drain, then both start up...
Have you figured it out yet?