Engineers Vs. "Joe Maintenance"

I got my start in Maintenance. I went in knowing next to nothing about PLCs (just that I really wanted to work with them and had been trying on and off for several years to do so), and came out knowing, well, a lot more than I did. Enough to get a job with a Systems Integrator at least.

..............And yeah, maybe they'll call me, and if I'm available, I'll help them out. But I am becoming very strict about my time and I generally only go out on service calls when it HAS to be me looking at it or if I don't have anything super pressing to do. One of the things that annoys me the most is if you're in the office working on a project, sometimes people tend to see that work as optional or just time-filler until you get a service call. And like I said, if I'm ahead of schedule on the project, I'll duck out for a service call here and there, but if I'm down to the wire on a deadline and I need every minute I have, I'm going to say no. If I'm available I'm available, if I'm not I'm not. And those times when I'm not teach them in a hurry that they eventually have to take ownership of the equipment.

Above is a great example of how to improve oneself. About the only thing I will add is in todays manufacturing world the production managers are so afraid of downtime that if in-house maintenance doesn’t have it fixed in 5 minutes they’ll immediately call in an outside contractor to fix it.

This type of attitude doesn’t inspire any confidence in the maintenance group.

Above is a great example of how to improve oneself. About the only thing I will add is in todays manufacturing world the production managers are so afraid of downtime that if in-house maintenance doesn’t have it fixed in 5 minutes they’ll immediately call in an outside contractor to fix it.

This type of attitude doesn’t inspire any confidence in the maintenance group.

That does happen but you can't always get an outside contractor to just drop everything they're doing and show up immediately.

The guy that labeled this bit is a real winner

The guy that labeled this bit is a real winner.

Manual Is Disabled, Manual is Not Enabled, In Auto Mode, Not in Manual Mode... to name a few better alternatives.

2020-01-11 15-04-42 CL-CTRLS-VM-ROC.png

I have worked as a maintenance electrician for 30+ years. Before reacting to "just another old guy rant", consider this. The customer is asking for a PLC-controller machine. If he doesn't specify language/style etc. , give him what works based on your programming style. If you see a potential problem - unskilled support staff, for example - you may ask your customer if you should program in a language/style that works for them.
My experience is that the customer wants something that works and wants it at minimal cost. Rarely is the abilities of the "in-house" staff considered. After a few months of "sorry - no software" or "sorry - don't understand the software" , bosses start to understand the importance of both training and employee involvement. This is usually only learned after calls from an irate customer wondering why you haven't delivered your product.