Profibus Master Slave communication

momo1501

Good morning,

I am looking to establish a communication between one Profibus master and one Profibus slave. I downloaded the Profibus Master Simulator software (Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH) but I can't find the Profibus Slave program that I can make the communication possible between the master and slave. Someone could give me advice where I can download the slave software?
Thank you

If you have a Profibus Card in your PC, CODESYS can be a Profibus master or Slave. Demo Mode will run for half hour before you need to restart CODESYS.

Thank you for your reply but I didn't have any profibus card for the moment.
I need to test the same thing using the profinet protocol. Is there any softwares that I can use to establish the profibus or profinet communication?

Hello: What Profibus slave do you have?

Also, I am not sure about the Profibus Master Simulator software (Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH), but Profibus DP requires at least an RS485 bus driver. I checked their website and the picture shows what looks like an RS232C-RS485 converter. Do you have that hardware in addition to the software?

Hello: What Profibus slave do you have?

Also, I am not sure about the Profibus Master Simulator software (Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH), but Profibus DP requires at least an RS485 bus driver. I checked their website and the picture shows what looks like an RS232C-RS485 converter. Do you have that hardware in addition to the software?

I don't have any slave of course. I just have the profibus master software and I need to simulate a communication between the master and the slave and analyze the traffic going from the master to the slave. I wonder if there is any software emulating the slave.
Thank you

momo1501, what exactly is it that you want to test ?

I just need to establish a network communication between a profibus slave and a profibus master. I need to catch and analyze the traffic going from master to slave and vice-versa.
I also need to do the same thing using the Profinet and Hart protocols

Thank you

OK thanks for the clarification. I have never heard of a Windows based software that can simulate a Profibus DP slave card. It must be very difficult to develop such a program. I would advice you get to eBay and buy a used card such as Hilscher or Softing PCI or PCIepress card, for which normally you should be able to download the Windows driver, API and sample progra,.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Profibus+slave+PCI&_sacat=0

I would get a cheap Siemens S7 CPU with Profibus or Profinet, and a cheap Profibus and/or Profinet slave, both on ebay.
Apart from that, not knowing exactly what you have to achieve, I think it is a monumental task to "analyze" Profibus or Profinet by tapping into the wires and not having knowledge of the protocols beforehand.

I would get a cheap Siemens S7 CPU with Profibus or Profinet, and a cheap Profibus and/or Profinet slave, both on ebay.
Apart from that, not knowing exactly what you have to achieve, I think it is a monumental task to "analyze" Profibus or Profinet by tapping into the wires and not having knowledge of the protocols beforehand.
Would you please give me reference examples of CPUs and slave that I need to buy for such a purpose.
Thank you

Profinet is even easier. CODESYS, master or slave, 30min demo before you have to restart. No special card needed.

store.codesys.com for the software
help.codesys.com for the docs

Profinet is even easier. CODESYS, master or slave, 30min demo before you have to restart. No special card needed.

store.codesys.com for the software
help.codesys.com for the docs

Thank you for your reply, but I think that I need to have one software running as a master and the second one as a slave to simulate the communication between them and catch the traffic. I think that CODESYS requires cards for communication
Best ragards

With Codesys there is a Raspberry PI version You can get two RaspberryPi use one as the profinet Controller the other as the Profinet slave. Or you can use the Windows version of Codeys, in which the PLC application will run in Windows. You can have two PCs. and you can combine for example Windows for the controller, Raspberry for the slave. The Wireshark will decode in great detail the communication.

For Profibus master, any old 315-2DP will be enough. Like this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-CPU-S7-315-2DP/254432502898?hash=item3b3d5be472:g:3gUAAOSwxFVd2tbz

For Profibus slave, any old Profibus device you can think of. For example a Siemens ET200L with integrated IO. Like this one:https://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-ET-...731704?hash=item3ad9c5f278:g:p1EAAOSwopRYm5BX
Jesper:

But if he uses the S7-300 he will need the TIA Configuration software, and the avaluationversion works only for 20 days or so, correct? This is why I believe the simulator would be better for the master, and for the Profibus DP slave, yes, I totally agree, the best is to get a used device from eBay.