OT: how to deal with "backseat drivers" at work

It would depend on the audience, of course, but sometimes I liked to make a few keystrokes or mouse clicks (that did absolutely nothing), then look puzzled and mutter, "Oh, ****" or something similar. You would be amazed as how quickly that will disperse an onlooker. Course, that was years ago. The crowds I draw now all know what they/we are doing!

When I was younger it bothered me and I'd get mad. But now that I am almost 60 noting like that bothers me. I can easily tune people out, especially idiots. Or I'll just say 'that sound good thanks' without really listening to them.

But when trouble-shooting a machine I don't know I usually welcome all input. Hey I'm the owner of the company and getting over $200/hour, bend my ear all you want, I've got GTO parts to buy. Just have to learn how to filter out the idiots.

If the questioner is an acknowledged PITA, I show them my business card. On the reverse:
Programming rate = $100/hr
Programming + answering questions = $150/hr
Programming + answering questions + your help = $200/hr
I'm usually left alone.

If the questioner is an acknowledged PITA, I show them my business card. On the reverse:
Programming rate = $100/hr
Programming + answering questions = $150/hr
Programming + answering questions + your help = $200/hr
I'm usually left alone.

This one I like...

You guys are all way more polite then me or dont get disturbed that often and still have patience to dont be a d**k, I tell at least 3 people/day to "F**c off!"

My experience so far hasn't so much been with people asking questions and stopping my train of thought but either making stupid demands that I couldn't possibly achieve or just being background noise when I and some colleagues of mine were working.

Since it was the offshore oil industry, pleasantries weren't required and telling them "to shut up or get the F@@@ off from the room" were somewhat common and worked.

I was also fairly lucky in many projects where the clients top guy was understanding and either did that for me to begin with, or took my side whenever an outburst happened.

As for looking over my shoulder, at a certain point I was so knowledgeable about a few of the standard programs of my company's kit that not even someone that understood PLC's picked up on what I was doing since I used keyboard shortcuts for everything. It also helped that I had a monster resolution and good eye sight... :)

I work night shift and do all of the PLC and controls support. If ANYTHING happens at night the first words are typically "it sure is funny how..."

Several times over the years I've simply handed the offending person my laptop and asked them to let me know when they are finished.

Probably not the most constructive way to deal with the problem, but it's worked every time I've used it.

I've done this a few times, mostly when folks are hammering on the "it's the program" when the machine has been running flawlessly for years until someone changed something electrical, mechanical or something broke. Another line I use a lot for those hovering pests is something like "as long as we're standing here talking, I cannot continue to troubleshoot this" or something to that effect. Lastly, now that I have to do a lot of training of electricians, techs and other folks, I choose to put up with a lot more BS. Most of them listen, ask questions and take notes, which I've been told shows interest. đź“š

The other thing I was taught in a stamping plant years ago was if someone was standing around while you were working was to stop working, turn around and watch them standing there.

Also, there was frequent requests for tickets. No ticket - no show, or $10 cash each

Plus, I give them the "Let me know when you're done" line and walk away for a break.

I am going to have to use this one

So I have the answer.... when someone walks up, put your hand on your belly and say "Oh excuse me" :p they will leave fast