Automation Direct Click PLC ((error))

Wow, that must be embarrassing.

How could that product ever have passed initial testing with such serious and fundamental flaws like THAT?

Two years? Has in been almost two years since the release?

Wow.

I am glad I spent my last fall's extra $182 on another share of AAPL instead of a Click.

I am still waiting for 12 bit analog add on cards to come out though; which should give me another year (at least), and another $80 to spend for my first home PLC project.

PROCRASTINATION.jpg

Last edited:
Problem 1: Coil and Box instructions may be activated unexpectedly when there are 3 or
more branches.

Problem 2: Coil and Box instructions may be activated unexpectedly when there is a
vertical line.

:eek:

Last edited:
Update

FYI

Its fixed

Dear Valued CLICK Customer:
Several days ago we notified you of potentially serious problems with earlier versions of CLICK software. We are pleased to announce that these issues have been resolved with software version 1.12 which is now available from our Web site. As these issues affected all prior versions of the software, we recommend that you update your CLICK software to the new version.
To download the software and view specific changes in v1.12, please visit:

http://support.automationdirect.com/products/clickplcs.html

Thank you,
Technical Support Team

Problems like that sould not happen. Feel sorry for people who had to deal with that issue. Sounds like a bear to troubleshoot.

Ladder is a graphic representation of Boolean logic. The compiler takes these graphics and creates Boolean. It made a mistake with a rung that was 3 levels deep with 3 parallel outputs. Poor programming practice in my opinion. The example given should be split into 3 separate rungs for ease in readability and troubleshooting.
In any case, this fault would easily be discovered during test, because the final Boolean was wrong. It was solid, not some strange random fault that would occur after shipment.
I think stopping all downloads and sales of products was an overreaction to a minor bug.
I recently shipped two products to a customer. Simple program - about 30 lines. It was likely they would need to do some final customization. I chose the Click over the DL05 because software was free. They couldn't download software, so units had to be sent back to me for updates. The customer also got the notice after contacting AD, and put me in the position of defending my product and the Click units.
Thanks, AD, for going crazy over a minor bug. If it took 2 years to discover, it suggests 99.9% of the world was doing fine until someone, probably a student, tried to write his entire program in one rung.
My perception is obviously biased, and I'm open to corrections.