Citect ODBC error - help?

RoTaTech

I installed Citect v5.2 on Windows NT WS4.0.

I could open the Citect Explorer, and it gets as far as the "create New project" dialog, but when I tried to create a new project, an error message appeared:

"ODBC return code: -1...Database engine couldn't lock table MASTER#DBF" because it is already used by other person or other person...".

If I try to open an exixsting project, Citect goes through the same motions as creating a new project, and spits out the same error.

Could anybody help me with this problem ? Thanks...

RoTaTech,

While I've used Citect I make no claims on being an expert try the following:

Restart - cold reboot, some program may have locked the file...

Do you have permission to access the file under NT citect explorer works best under administrator.

Copy the file master.dbf to master.old and then back again this should free up the file.

The file could be corrupt you could try extracting this file from the install cd.

Andrew

If none of these help, it would be helpful to give additional background info such as when was the last time if ever this pc was used to create a project, what are you logged in as, do you have any additional progs on the pc etc.

In other ODBC enable softwares IF you install the software whyle being Admin or in a particular Workgroup AND THEN you try and using this ODBC link being logged as something else, the link will be locked to the earlyer logged User.

This error would pop-up.

citect

Thanks guys.
This is a fresh install of Citect, on a machine with a fressh install of NT4 WS. I just loaded NT SP6 this morning, same symptoms.

I am logged in as Admin.

No other users are set up on the PC.

I have deleted all other ODBC drivers, and re-installed the Citect driver according to their (somewhat obscure) help note.

Office 2000 was installed; I unistalled it thinking that maybe it could mess up the OBDC.

Earlier, I had tried deleting the MASTER.dbf, Citect re-created it, same symptoms.

This error occurs whether I try to create a new project, or open one of my existing ones which do work on another PC.

Any more Ideers?

I had ODBC problems using NT 4.0 that I could not get resolved no matter what I tried or what the companies I was working with tried. Eventually I said the hell with it and got a machine with Windows 2000 on it. No problems since. NT is getting a little old I guess.

Older PC

This is being installed on an older IBM P2; there are 2 other PCs running almost identical Citect apps, on NT4.

I'll try the LDB file trick, and then try a third install of citect.

V5.2 is quite old now. There was an issue when Microsoft altered the Jet pack. They did not tell there development partners about all the issues etc that had been addressed. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!. The symptoms you describe are exactly what happens with the Jet pack problem.
Contact Citect for a Jet pack version that will work with that version of Citect.
Have not used NT4 for ages. Find XP and Citect work very well together.
beerchug

Citect KB3183

Would anyone in support with Citect, supply me with this doc, and/or the gist of it? Please?

I've installed NT SP6, the Citect SP for v5.2, reinstalled NT and the SP and Citect and the SP, and this furshlugginer error will not desist.
ARRGGGH! - (see icon - that's what I look like now!)

My app was written and running - on a PC that presently runs Citect - within a day. I have been a further day trying to load it on the customer's desired PC. Obviously I can write Cicode but not install the blasted program!

Here it is but I do not think it will help you.
Article number: Q3183
Created on: 29/03/2001
Product: Citect for Windows Versions 5.xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
I have just installed a new version of Citect and I am now getting ODBC error messages when I start up. What can I do to solve this?

Solution
If you experience ODBC errors after installing Citect, you should manually verify the setup of the Data Source Names on your machine.

To view the ODBC configuration of your computer, follow the steps below.

Windows 95/98/ME:

Click Start | Settings | Control Panel
Double click on the "ODBC Data Sources (32 bit)" icon
Select the System DSN tab
Select the DSN you want to view the configuration for, then click Configure
Click Options >> to view the options that have been set for that DSN
Windows NT 4.0:

Log in as a user with Administrator privileges (or as a member of the Administrators group)
Double click on the "Data Sources (ODBC)" icon
Windows 2000:

Log in as a user with Administrator privileges (or as a member of the Administrators group)
Double click on the "Administrative Tools" icon
Double click on the "Data Sources (ODBC)" icon
For all operating systems you should have the following System DSNs configured:

DSN Driver Name Options
Citect_DBF Microsoft dBase Driver dBase IV

Use Current Directory

Show Deleted Rows OFF

Citect Server Citect Driver

NOTE: The Citect Server DSN is only required if you intend to use Citect as an ODBC Server.

See also Knowledge Base Article Q2769

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is KB2769 but I still do not think it is the problem
ODBC Error when trying to start Citect Explorer
Article number: Q2769
Created on: 19/02/99
Product: Citect for Windows Versions 5.xx

Summary
I have installed a new copy of Citect while logged into Windows as an administrator. When I log in as a user, I cannot run the Citect Explorer and get a Citect Explorer error:

ODBC return code: -1
Error description: Data source name not found and no default driver specified

How can I fix this?

Solution
The Citect installation adds an ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) in Windows. Citect Explorer needs this DSN to access any project database files. There are two types of DSNs: System and User. User DSNs are only available to the currently logged in user, while System DSNs are available for any user on that PC.

A normal Citect installation will add a System DSN, however in some Windows configurations, a User DSN may be added and then other users cannot run Citect. This problem can also occur if the user that installed Citect was logged into a domain and then changes domain or to a workgroup.

The solution is to either re-install Citect while logged on as the current user or to edit Windows ODBC.

To edit ODBC, open the Windows Control Panel and open the ODBC applet. Under System DSN, select Add and then select Microsoft dBase Driver. In the configuration dialog box for this driver add "Citect_Dbf" as the data source name and make sure that the version is "dBase IV". Click OK to save. Close the ODBC control panel and you should now be able to run the Citect Explorer.

See also Knowledge Base Article Q3183

I believe this is the one you require
ODBC error - could not lock MASTER#DBF
Article number: Q2797
Created on: 24/05/99
Product: Citect for Windows Versions 4.xx 5.xx

Summary
When I start Citect Explorer I get an ODBC error message about being unable to lock MASTER#DBF, saying that the file is in use by another person or process. Citect Explorer doesn't start. Why am I getting this error and how do I get rid of it?

Solution
This error is caused by mismatched or incompatible versions of ODBC files. This particular error is due to the latest versions of ODBC (in particular Jet 4.0) no longer supporting functionality that Citect relies on. This version of ODBC is included with recent Microsoft products such as Office 2000 Beta, SQL Server 7.0, Visual Basic 6.0 sp2, MDAC 2.1 and some versions of Internet Explorer 5.

The solution to this problem is to install a matched set of ODBC components, known as Microsoft Data Access Components 2.1, as well as the supporting Borland Database Engine. These components are automatically installed by the Citect v5.21 setup program, and are also supplied via a separate installer that is able to repair Citect installations showing this problem. This installer is known as The Citect Database Drivers and can be found in the Citectv5\CitectDB directory of the Citect Version 5.21 CD.

Users who encounter this problem but do not have a Citect Version 5.21 CD can download the Citect Database Drivers from the Networking and ODBC section of the Citect Toolbox on CiT's websites.

CIT has confirmed this to be a problem in Citect for Windows versions 4.10 to 5.20. This problem has been fixed in Citect version 5.21.

The service pack should be SP"B"

beerchug

Last edited:
To add to what Bob has said above; the fix is free, you dont have to be in support. I have had this problem many times with NT and citect.
The revised OBDC download always fixes the problem. Spend the time and also download the latest knowledge base (huge). It will help a lot. Regards Alan Case

Knowledge base

I am registered with Citect, to access their site, but cannot get the KB without being a 'gold' member. Am about to find out about it.

Thanks for the KBs, Bob - am trying them now.

I remembered, last night, that I didn't go through this BS the last time I set up a citect PC.

I just had the customer's IT guy do a Norton Ghost of the whole drive, and load it into the new PC.

RT

It was only a problem with one or two versions when Microsoft cahnged their Jet Pack. All the latest versions of Citect come with a compatible pack on the CD.
Perhaps your customer would be better off upgrading to V5.41 or 5.5. There are a lot of improvements and additional functionality with the latrest versions.
Or is he like most customers, too lousy to pay the money.
If you are an SI, you should be able to approach Citect and be listed as a gold member. That is what I did.
beerchug