Everyones favorite schematic drawing software?

So, for those of us that don't understand, what are the practical reasons?

Ios is a touch based OS desgined for phones. It is not getting any professional software.

SEE Electrical Expert is the most used in France. The schematics designers know it's powerful but they seem to spend a lot of time fighting the software to get the job done. It's a full time job.

Last edited:
Elcan, I did. Sorry for the confusion.
What I would love to find is something that works like AutoCAD Electrical. But for the MacBook, not Windows.

This is an online 3D design app geared towards complete beginners coming from Autodesk. The software features an intuitive block-building concept, allowing you to develop models from a set of basic shapes
Yeaaaah... but we are talking about electrical schematic software...

That is Mechanical Design

EIA:

Why did you put your full Home Address as your location......

Further you provided no link

Are you a BOT?

Last edited:
In this thread already 2 spammers ! Maybe because the topic header is so tasty to spammers.

I think that there are spider searchbots that search forum sites for phrases like "whats you favourite so-and-so", and when such posts are found inserts posts with vague texts that more or less fits the topic, and then a link to an external web-page.

In this thread already 2 spammers ! Maybe because the topic header is so tasty to spammers.

I think that there are spider searchbots that search forum sites for phrases like "whats you favourite so-and-so", and when such posts are found inserts posts with vague texts that more or less fits the topic, and then a link to an external web-page.
The funny thing is there was no link. So, bot failed!! lol.

The wonders of Machine Learning.

I started using Auto-Cad in early 90s when it installed from 25 floppies. We had a digitizing board 18x18 that we setup all the symbols in a grid pattern and drug them to the desktop as BLOCKS as they were needed. We had different overlays for the digitizing board for electric, electronic and mechanical. I still have the digitizing board in my garage.

I have no idea if they will still interface with any software since they used a printer port. It worked great and saved a lot of time once you had it all setup.

Does any still use these for drafting?

I started using Auto-Cad in early 90s when it installed from 25 floppies. We had a digitizing board 18x18 that we setup all the symbols in a grid pattern and drug them to the desktop as BLOCKS as they were needed. We had different overlays for the digitizing board for electric, electronic and mechanical. I still have the digitizing board in my garage.

I have no idea if they will still interface with any software since they used a printer port. It worked great and saved a lot of time once you had it all setup.

Does any still use these for drafting?

When I was taking CAD classes in high school they had digitizer boards. I LOVED drawing that way. I had it set up so I had no toolbars on the software at all so my drawing space was maximized. It was so quick.

I don't think it's been supported in AutoCAD for a while now. Computers don't come with parallel ports anymore and haven't for years.

Thanks to this thread I've been playing around with Skycad and like a lot of the features. Starting to think about using it long term but had a question for anyone who has created multiple projects:

I like to keep my schematic files in folders under the specific jobs (I know I can save the Skycad project files in different locations so that part is good).
My fear is that after I do 100 jobs, opening Skycad will become a problem since it will be looking for/displaying those 100 previous projects in the project tree. So before I go and make a ton of dummy jobs to figure out how it reacts - anyone with experience how it works with multiple jobs across multiple folders?

Thanks to this thread I've been playing around with Skycad and like a lot of the features. Starting to think about using it long term but had a question for anyone who has created multiple projects:

I like to keep my schematic files in folders under the specific jobs (I know I can save the Skycad project files in different locations so that part is good).
My fear is that after I do 100 jobs, opening Skycad will become a problem since it will be looking for/displaying those 100 previous projects in the project tree. So before I go and make a ton of dummy jobs to figure out how it reacts - anyone with experience how it works with multiple jobs across multiple folders?
I would recommend asking on the SkyCad forum. I think this has been mentioned on there, but I would just start a new thread and ask. The SkyCad staff usually reply back on the forum the same day. They are very helpful

https://my.skycad.ca/forum

Glad to know you appreciate SkyCAD!

(...) My fear is that after I do 100 jobs, opening Skycad will become a problem since it will be looking for/displaying those 100 previous projects in the project tree.

SkyCAD won't do that. It automatically opens the project(s) that were open the last time SkyCAD was closed, but not all existing projects that were ever created. If you close a project and start a new one, only the new one will be displayed automatically in the SkyCAD tree view when you start SkyCAD.

I hope this properly answers your question. If you need more information, I invite you to post on the SkyCAD forum, as TheColonel suggested.

The Rise of SkyCADer...

Elcan said:
From my own experience, crashing is not very common. Some new features may behave, but they are constantly taking care of any issues you may find.

My philosophy as a software user is this: "I prefer a software that I like and (every now and then) crashes, than a software that never crashes and I don't like"
As long as the development team cares, and this is the case for SkyCAD, the issues will be fixed soon. However, asking the dev team to improve an application that your don't like is more complicated, if not impossible...

Hi Elcan,

I've only installed SkyCAD Electrical last week, after happening upon your mention of it here, and I must say it is a very user friendly and intuitive Electrical CAD package. I've not had enough hours at it yet to decide either way, but so far so good. The auto numbering is very useful, as is the off-page referencing (OPR) feature. I've noticed, for instance, it has predefined PowerFlex 525 drive power and control blocks and how we can build our own custom blocks for drives, PLCs, special relays, etc. Nothing too new, but it is very intuitive while doing such things. The PLC blocks and auto I/O generation is very good. Parts Lists/BOM, all standard. The Panel Layout feature is also of interest to me so I may in time opt for the Advanced Edition subscription.

Anyway, I have also been experiencing a few crashes or "not responding" events. I have my work laptop home this evening so I could have a further play with the software and it again crashed. So I came back to this thread earlier this evening as I recalled some of ye mentioning crashes here. The uncanny thing is that as I got to the end of the thread and at the very second the SkyCAD rep's post appeared as I scrolled down, I got this work email notification in on my mobile!...

SkyCAD%20Forum%20Post.png

It was the same rep Alain Moisan emailing to inform me...

Alain Moisan said:
Subject: SkyCAD crashed on you earlier, it seems?

Hi George,

Our logs indicate SkyCAD crashed on you a little earlier. Sorry about that.

The crash report we got indicated us the cause of the crash was actually fixed a couple of days ago, thus the fix should be available in the next version planned to be released in a couple of weeks.

Sorry about the hiccup!

Don’t hesitate if you have any question!

Regards,

Alain

Alain Moisan
President
SkyCAD Systems
skycad.ca

That was eerily uncanny. Not only did Alain email just as I was about to read his post, but he was also emailing regarding the very issue I had gone to the Forum over - crashes. I had also intended to go to the SkyCAD Forum next, but I just wanted to read what ye had said first. But now that Alain has reassured me that such crashes should be resolved in the next, imminent update release, I need not.

Now that is excellent Support service, I must say.

Regards,
George - The Rise of SkyCADer

Last edited: