You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 15th, 2019, 07:38 PM   #1
mitch11
United States

Rockwell PID AOI

Does anyone have there own PID AOI that they would like to share?

I understand that there are a few PID instructions offered by Rockwell, but I've had varying levels of success implementing those in projects I've been involved with.

Thanks,
Old April 16th, 2019, 02:56 AM   #2
rdrast
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

What are you problems, and how do you think an AOI will help?

Look First, Ask Second!

Old April 16th, 2019, 03:14 AM   #3
dcam
United States

I've never had issues with provided PID. I use a live gragh when tuning, maybe im missing something?
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Peter Nachtwey
United States

There are many different forms of PID. Some are better than other depending on what you want to do. Sometimes a full PID is not required. A PI or PD will do but other times a PID with second derivative gain is required. Then there is the problem on how integrator windup is handled.

I haven't played around with the PIDs on a Control Logix but the PIDs on SLCs and Micrologix leave much to be desired.

What someone should write is a Smith Predictor AOI.
Old April 16th, 2019, 05:58 PM   #5
kamenges
United States

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Nachtwey:

What someone should write is a Smith Predictor AOI.
If I ever get some time on my hands I will probably do this. But what i really want to do is get a Kalman filter implementation as an AOI. I just haven't done enough research to know what implications this will have on plc scan time.

I have also had my issues getting the AB PID to work for me. It isn't so much the heart of the control law. I think that works fine. It is more trying to get the instruction to perform as I want in the mode I want in the face of the 50 or so parameters there are to deal with. The biggest issue is if it isn't doing what you want you have very little to look at to figure out why it is or isn't doing what you want it to do. I think it is a case of trying to do everything for everyone in one instruction, which adds complexity to the implementation. Then again, I am not a patient man, which will tend to cloud my view in this case.

mitch11, PM me. I probably have something you can at least start with.

Keith

Last edited by kamenges; April 16th, 2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #6
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenges View Post
If I ever get some time on my hands I will probably do this. But what i really want to do is get a Kalman filter implementation as an AOI. I just haven't done enough research to know what implications this will have on plc scan time.
You should look into making a alpha-beta-gamma filter AOI. You would be a hero if you shared it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_beta_filter
An alpha-beta-gamma filter is similar to a Kalman filter except the gains are chosen differently. Kalman filter gains can be updated dynamically. This requires a lot of CPU power. There is also the steady state Kalman filter where the heavy number crunching is done once. The goal of the Kalman filter is be optimal. However, to do this the user needs to know the system covariance and the measurement noise covariance. The Kalman filter use these two values or arrays to determine the proper weighting between the current estimate and the new inputs. There are two huge problems with this.
1 people do not know the system covariance or measurement covariance.
2. They do not have a model to estimate the next value.
In other engineering forums, I have yet to see someone find these values.
So
Use the easy to implement alpha-beta-gamma filter where you choose the gains until you get the desired frequency response.

Our new delta RMC200 uses an alpha-beta-gamma or alpha-beta-gamma-delta to filter out chain noise or other noise that the motion controller can be geared too. This allows us to generate a master position, velocity and acceleration that is use to compute feed forward gains for the slaves.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Maxima/ABG.html
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Maxima/ABGD.html

Quote:
I have also had my issues getting the AB PID to work for me. It isn't so much the heart of the control law. I think that works fine.
Actually it draws a perfect vacuum for hydraulic servo control.

Quote:
It is more trying to get the instruction to perform as I want in the mode I want in the face of the 50 or so parameters there are to deal with.
You need some mathemagic

Quote:
The biggest issue is if it isn't doing what you want you have very little to look at to figure out why it is or isn't doing what you want it to do.
and a good data recorder so that you can do system identification.

Quote:
I think it is a case of trying to do everything for everyone in one instruction, which adds complexity to the implementation. Then again, I am not a patient man, which will tend to cloud my view in this case.
Being able to predict is huge.
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #7
kamenges
United States

Peter, in many cases I couldn't even get the function to the point where I need any of the stuff you are referring to. Just getting it to react to ANYTHING is sometimes a challenge regardless of what you do with the gains or the software output value. This is where i get frustrated and just roll my own. Right or wrong I know EXACTLY what my own function is doing and EXACTLY why it is doing it.

Much of this is based on expectation. If I put the function into auto I expect it to act like it is in auto. Oscillation is one of the expected things that can happen in auto mode and I would be OK with that. But it should do SOMETHING. If I put it in manual I just want to to be able to put the output where i want it without anything interfering with that act. So this is less about performance and simply about action. There are just too many things that can seemingly get in the way of the function doing what one would think it should.

Thanks for the tip on Kalman filter processing requirements. That is likely not something I want to task a PLC with given the stuff i do. Interestingly I was thinking about alpha-beta filters as an alternative to Kalman filters this morning. I remember reading some of the stuff you posted about them and thought that might be an easier way to go. I might dive into that.

Keith

Last edited by kamenges; Yesterday at 06:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #8
duckman
United States

Is the type of filter alpha beta gamma, something along the lines we use in Arduino for IMU integrating i.s Madgwick/Mahoney filter, of course we also use a Kalman, but as you rightly say it is CPU heavy.
Old Today, 03:24 PM   #9
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Is the type of filter alpha beta gamma, something along the lines we use in Arduino for IMU integrating
Yes, however, the alpha-beta-gamma filter I used does not take into account gravity. It is one dimensional and meant to smooth out encoder data on feed chains and conveyors. There are a lot of question about this on this forum.

Quote:
i.s Madgwick/Mahoney filter, of course we also use a Kalman, but as you rightly say it is CPU heavy.
I don't know about Madgwick/Mahoney filters. It looks like they are somewhat related just like the alpha-beta-gamma filter is somewhat like a Luenberg Observer or Kalman filter.

The Madgwick/Mahoney filter look like they are specifically designed for computing the orientation of a IMU which is a little more complicated than a one dimensional alpha-beta-gamma filter.

The main advantage of a alpha-beta-gamma filter is that you get 95% of the performance with only 5% of the effort compared to a Kalman filter.
Old Today, 04:13 PM   #10
PLCnovice61
Australia

Thanks for the info Peter, re the CPU usage, until a few years ago their has been limited process power in Arduino hence madgwick/mahoney filters, but now with 32 bit processors that has now changed and kalman are common. I have found though that the kalman filtered IMU's tend to run away badly when quickly tilted (lots of over shoot i.e 15+ degrees) and returned to there previous position (probable not tuned for a rapid tilt?). Where as the Madg/mahoney don't display this issue. In testing 8+ different IMU's l haven't seen any advantage over the madg/mahoney from the kalman, if anything the opposite.
The Madgwick filter is a little more processor hungry than the Mahoney (say on a 8 bit Arduino), but in my testing gives a far better results and most Arduino now are 16 bit minimum, so running the Madgwick filter isn't a problem
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum