CompactLogix Can't See Yaskawa MP2300Siec?

cstech

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have setup a CompactLogix PLC connected via ethernet to a machine network alongside a Yaskawa MP2300Siec. The IP addresses are in the same subnet, but the CompactLogix "who active" never sees an unknown device on the network. It does, however see the PanelView Plus that is also connected via ethernet. Is there a setting in the Yaskawa to make it "network visible" that I am missing?

TIA!

That drive can be set up to use either Ethernet/IP or Modbus TCP. Are you sure it is set to Ethernet/IP? We have used it both ways in different projects. It works really well.

Like Bernie said, you have to configure it for the comms protocol you are using. You will also have to set up your input and output instances(and all the variables that you will be using) if using Ethernet/IP.

Thanks for the replies!

I am using Ethernet/IP, and have been going through the Yaskawa Application Notes on the setup. When setting the AB module up for EIP, I don't see the MP2300Siec on the network when browsing "who active" in RS Logix. I can open up the Yaskawa web page at the IP address (which is on the same subnet). I ASSUME that the driver setup occurs after I can get the two devices to see each other on the network. Am I missing some part of the documentation somewhere? Could it be a firmware issue with the Yaskawa? Seems that the firmware downloads require username and password.

I'm thinking the root of my issue is that RSLinx doesn't show the Yaskawa controller at all - not even "unrecognized device". Looking for RSLinx documentation now - I will post here if I find the solution.

Opening up the web page just means the IP is correct and that it is responding to HTML requests. It doesn't mean that Ethernet/IP is set up correctly. You have to select it in the configuration, download that configuration and make sure the unit has been power cycled or use the controller restart menu command. It should then be able to respond to a basic Ethernet/IP inquiry. And, as 'Highland Controls' mentioned your program will have to populate the Ethernet/IP input and output instances. They are not pre-defined like many other Ethernet/IP devices.

I have logged into the Motionworks HW configurator to setup the drives, and have played with the Ethernet/IP settings too. I'm following Yaskawa's application note AN.MCD.08.110

(https://www.yaskawa.com/pycprd/look...752a&AN.MCD.08.110_CompactLogixL32E_MPiec.pdf)

Here is a screenshot showing "Who Active" in RSLogix, but the MP2300S on .1.71 is not appearing. From the Yaskawa document, it doesn't look like there is any configuration to be done on the MP2300S to get it to appear as an unrecognized device (to communicate, there is setup on both sides, but not to just see it on the network). Specifically, I am referring to page 7 of the application note.

Thanks for your help and patience guys!

plc1.jpg

This note would be done AFTER the Yaskawa is set up as an Ethernet IP adapter. Note that the beginning of section 6 says:

Since Assembly Instances #101 (Scanner Inputs) and #111 (Scanner Outputs) were configured

'were' as in past tense. This note doesn't show the actual setup, but you just go to that section, add the appropriate IP, then choose the Instances to be created.
Save that to the drive and restart. ONLY THEN follow the instruction in this note.

Thanks Bernie - I read that line as:

Since Assembly Instances #101 (Scanner Inputs) and #111 (Scanner Outputs) were configured (in section 5)

At the end of section 5, the note refers to the AB PLC as the Scanner Device. Then, section 6 goes into what I believe you are referring to with the MP setup.

I have tried Google and can't immediately find anything that details the setup of Ethernet IP within the servo but it will have to be done before anything in this note is applicable. Section 6 is merely checking that the setup had already been performed. I can't look for my reference literature at work until Tuesday. If you are still having problems I'll look then.

The setup in the controller is pretty straightforward. Just select the input and output instances. You state that you can open the controller webpage at the desired address, so you got that far.

MP2300Siec.jpg

Thanks guys! I have it (partially) working now - the first issue I resolved was the adapter in RSLinx. I was using the EthIP driver, and not the plain Ethernet driver. After plugging in the static IPs in the Ethernet driver, the MP2300S showed up, and I could get the module configured properly.

I put a small test function in the MP2300, and am able to read the output, but not change the input on the PLC. I have checked and rechecked the instance and sizes to confirm compatibility. I am trying to replicate the exercise in the above linked Yaskawa application note.

Any ideas on that? To restate: the variable value in the PLC changes with the output of the function in Motionworks, but I cannot change the value of the input variable in Motionworks from the PLC.

I am able to see the Motionworks output in the PLC, and the PLC value changes when I force the value in Motionworks.

I am NOT able to force a value in the PLC and have it show up in Motionworks. The value in Motionworks stays at zero even with a non-zero value in RSLogix.

So basically, things are halfway working :unsure: