Networking AB PLC's

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
Excuse my lack of knowledge in the world of networking PLC's, I'm old school where you take the laptop to the PLC. I have a variety of AB PLC's I would like to link together on one one network. Is it possible to have AB PLC2's, PLC5's, SLC500 and micrologix on the same network? If so how? Could I also throw on a Seimens S5 on the same network. As alway any help is grealy appreciated!

There are many possible options, but before answering anything you should investigate EXACTLY what PLCs you have. "PLC5" and "SLC500" can mean many things.
And then, investigate if the available ports on all these PLC are already in use, or are free to use. ANy existing networking should be carefully mapped out.

PLC2 may be the most difficult to "network". Maybe a replacement is overdue ?

Depending on your SLC 500, you could have all that on a Data Highway. PLC 2, PLC 5 and SLC 504 all support DH+. Im sure you could get the micrologix on there to somehow.

SLC 504. Like i said does.

Does the PLC 2 not support DH+? I was under the impression that it did (and was one of the only Comms protocols that it did support). Not that i have ever used one mind.

In my recollection, PLC-2 controllers had a front port with a differential serial driver that you could connect a 1784-KT or later a 1784-PCMK to.

You had to add a module to the PLC-2 to allow RS-232 connectivity (1771-KG), or the original Data Highway (1771-KA2) or Data Highway Plus ( 1772-KA3).

I'm not sure what the original poster's intent is. Depending on the mix of gear and his infrastructure, RS232/Ethernet converters might make sense, or DH+ bridges.

A project to inventory the control hardware in the plant is a great idea. You're going to find stuff you didn't know existed ! This forum is a great place for ideas and experience, so provide as much detail as you can about the controller models and what they're already connected to.

A PLC-2 needs a 1785-KA to connect to DH+. As Ken points out.
The PCMK and KT cards connects to the PLC-2 via DH, not DH+.
I think the effort would be better spent on replacing the PLC-2 with something newer.

A PLC-2 needs a 1785-KA to connect to DH+. As Ken points out.
The PCMK and KT cards connects to the PLC-2 via DH, not DH+.
I think the effort would be better spent on replacing the PLC-2 with something newer.

I didn't know there was an original Data Highway (not DH+)