Cannot set path in RSLogix 5000 project.

The one 1756-EN2T module that has a red X on it is the one you're trying to drill down through (192.168.1.21), so that suggests it's not connected properly to the network or that there's an address conflict.

See if you can PING it, or bring up the EN2T module's embedded Web page in a browser.

Also: be sure you are not connected to multiple networks at once ! I very often get browsing issues when I have both wireless and wired networks connected.

nqu71e.jpg

This should have some better resolution

Last edited:
So 192.168.1.21 does NOT have a + next to it, which would indicate there's nothing connected to it.
What are you expecting to be connected to it? It looks like you have a connection issue from your EN2T to the rest of the backplane.

MartB, it has a + next to it, in the image I attempted to drill down, and as you say, nothing....

Yet, the computer that I'm on is receiving all of our wonderware data from that IP address off of that module. Is there a possible conflict from it running wonderware at the same time from that port?

If that's the case, I could change the project path to look at 192.168.1.22,,,yet, the problem is the same with that, and there is no wonderware running to it. That is where the RIO info is tying in at. And I can't seem to change the project path to look at it, anyway.

Forget the project path for the moment, you need to see the backplane first.
It appears as though all is working except your browse passed the EN2T module?

Definitely disable other unused wireless or fixed network adapters on your computer.

Have you tried setting the AB_ETHIP driver to browse remote subnet?

Have you tried the AB_ETH driver instead?

What IP address and subnet is your computer set to?
What subnet is the 192.168.1.21 node set to?

If still no joy there...

Can you start spitting out details?

What version of RSLinx Classic are you using?
What version of RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer are you using?

I'd rule out the possibility of the newer EDS Subsystem preventing a successful browse to an apparently otherwise working Ethernet node.

Regards,
George

Geospark, I haven't attempted to browse remote subnet, yet. Would doing this drop off everything I have already successfully communicating to the PLC (i.e. the whole plant)? And would I do the remote browse at the 192.168.1.21 module or at AB_ETHIP?

Also, with switching the driver to AB_ETH, the same question about loss of communication to the rest of the plant?

The subnets are the same for computer and PLC. 255.255.255.0

I'm running RSLinx Classic Professional rev. 2.59.02 CPR 9 SR 5
RSLogix 5000 Professional/Network Edition v20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)

and thanks for the assistance, folks....been out of the PLC game for a bit spending my time messing with RTUs..

Your software versions are pre migration to the EDS SQL Subsystem (v21), so that's that ruled out.

Can we clarify what the computer you are working from is doing exactly?

Is the computer you are trying to browse from, so as to set a project path in RSLogix 5000, also part of the plant's SCADA, or is at least polling data off of some of the networked devices you've mentioned? Is RSLinx being used as an OPC Server on this computer?

If the AB_ETHIP driver you are using to browse for nodes is also currently polling some of those nodes for OPC data, then you cannot modify the driver's properties. If the driver is only browsing for nodes to connect to and configure, then yes, you should be able to modify the driver for browse remote subnet. You can also create another AB_ETHIP driver or an AB_ETH driver to test a connection to the module and beyond.

If RSLinx is not being used as an OPC Server, then it is only a communication tool. It's drivers are not in all likelihood holding up the network. But you will be the better judge of that.

Regards
George

Last edited:
Eds revision issue?
I have seen this problem when the actual module revision is higher than is covered in the installed eds file.
Upload the eds file out of the module and see what happens.

Playing with the driver settings is just something I would have tried initially as it's usually quick and easy to do so to rule it out. If you can't change them or don't want to, then we can move on to other checks.

Ken Roach said:
...See if you can PING it, or bring up the EN2T module's embedded Web page in a browser...

Voltimus,

You said you can ping it, but you never said whether or not you can access or have accessed the module's webpage? If you can, go to "Browse Chassis" and check that you can see everything that is installed in the chassis. If not, the EN2T is most likely faulty, badly seated in the chassis, or there is a chassis issue (Trying the module in an empty slot is one way to check). But my guess is it will browse there successfully because you say everything else appears to be working correctly?

If you can see everything in the chassis on the webpage, then its most likely an RSLinx or EDS issue.

Mike_RH said:
Eds revision issue?
I have seen this problem when the actual module revision is higher than is covered in the installed eds file.
Upload the eds file out of the module and see what happens.

Yes Mike, it could still be an EDS issue. You got me wondering if there is a general browsing issue with all the displayed EN2Ts, or just the .21 node?...

Voltimus said:
...I could change the project path to look at 192.168.1.22,,,yet, the problem is the same with that...

...this suggests that there is a browsing issue with at least nodes .21 and .22, but most likely all of them?

Voltimus, would this be true to say?

As well as uploading the EDS file directly from the module in RSLinx (v2.55 or above), you can also do so using its USB port straight to your computer. I usually just download and register all the EDS files related to a device or type of device so I'm covered for the foreseeable.

Did you just download one EDS file or did you "go wild"?...

450777 - Unable to browse the backplane of an Ethernet module in RSLinx Classic
Access Level: Everyone

I would download and register all available EDS files for the 1756-EN2T (rev 2.1 - 10.1) so you know you are covered.

There are other "things" that can affect your browse, but I won't go further unless you're still in bother after trying all of our above suggestions.

Regards,
George

Geospark,

This is what I have going so far.
I did try the EDS upload already, however, I only did it for the EN2T module on .21. It was successful, but no change.
The computer is not running OPC, but it is running our wonderware HMI, we were trying to create an engineering station by having it tied into the PLC as well.

I created an AB_ETH driver to see what I would get from RSLinx, it's doing the exact same thing. I can see the EN2T module, but I can't drill down successfully to see the backplane.

I have not tried to browse the module's webpage. How do I go about doing that, if I may ask?

After reading what you've said, I'm starting to be inclined to thinking it may be a physical issue...the only thing that gives me pause is that both .21 and .22 are doing the same thing. Which would point to it being backplane and not module related, I'm guessing.

...I almost forgot.

When changing the driver to remote browsing, as you mentioned to give it a try, which device should I plug into the IP address and subnet? The computer's, the switch's or the module's? Just curious, I've never used remote browsing before.

Thanks,
Nick

After the help from the_msp (thanks!) I was able to go to the .21 module's webpage and browse the chassis and I DID see the processor. In my defense, I actually thought that was exactly how you go to the module's webpage...lol

So, that was successful.

Voltimus said:
...After reading what you've said, I'm starting to be inclined to thinking it may be a physical issue...the only thing that gives me pause is that both .21 and .22 are doing the same thing. Which would point to it being backplane and not module related, I'm guessing.

Remember I said that if you cannot see the chassis contents correctly using the webpage, then you may have a hardware issue. You can see it correctly, so it is most likely not a hardware issue.

Also remember, and as I pointed out, that everything else, other than RSLinx browsing passed the EN2T modules, seems to be working ok. This would also suggest that there is no physical hardware issue, and that it is more likely related to a software issue.

The "browse remote subnet" suggestion is just something I would have tried where I might not know everything about the network and whether it is segregated or not (local v remote subnetting). You say the subnet being used by these modules and your computer is 255.255.255.0, so they are all on the same local subnet by the sounds of things. So that option is probably futile at this stage?

Another reason one might use/try the browse remote subnet is where you have more than one network adapter in use on the same computer. RSLinx blindly uses Winsock to connect out an available Ethernet adapter port. With multiple adapters, it may be browsing out the wrong port. By using browse remote subnet, you have the option to select a specific adapter and set a specific end device's IP address and subnet mask to reach it. i.e. you would set 192.168.1.21/255.255.255.0 for the remote browse.

You have uploaded the EDS file from the .21 module, so that would most likely rule out having the wrong EDS file.

Can I take it that because you are trying to set this computer up to also act as an engineering station, that ye have only recently installed Rockwell software, such as RSLinx Classic and RSLogix 5000? Are there any other software packages from Rockwell installed on this computer, and if so, what versions are they at?

Regards,
George