5380 / 5069 - MOD Power Vs. SA Power

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
So it seems that MOD Power is for Powering the CPU, and I think also the internal card electronics.

I would then assume that SA is for powering the IO side of the cards, but for example the 5069-OB8 card doesn't seem to do this.

So does it just depend on the card?

From 5069-td001:
The 5069-OB8 module does not draw current from the SA Power bus. The module is a DC type module. Therefore,you must install it on an SA Power bus that uses DC power.

• If you install modules in a system that use AC SA power and DC SA power, you must install them on separate SA Power buses.

• You use a 5069-FPD field potential distributor to establish a new SA Power bus in a system. SA Power buses are isolated from each other. To keep the modules on separate SA Power buses,complete these steps.
1. Install the modules that use one type of SA power, for example DC, to the right of the adapter or controller, that
is, the first SA Power bus.
2. Install the 5069-FPD field potential distributor to establish a second SA Power bus.
3. Install the modules that use the other type of SA power, for example AC, on the second SA Power bus.

What is the power consumption for the MOD power and the SA power terminals?
It depends on your setup. Different processors have different power requirements. The number of modules and field devices will also affect current draw.

The document referenced in post #2 contains information on the current requirements of the IO modules.

Also this document lists the various 5069 processors and their current requirements. LINK