Siemens S7-1200 / Simatic Step 7

For my undestanding it is that you need TIA V13 SP2, TIA14 and TIA15.1 depending of project and CPU.

Old projects cannot opened directly to V15 version.

There is need of migration first with 13SP2 (which should cover also older versions), then converting to V14 and then to 15 or 15.1.

Even then old firmware can lead to problems with newer TIAs.

For my undestanding it is that you need TIA V13 SP2, TIA14 and TIA15.1 depending of project and CPU.

Old projects cannot opened directly to V15 version.

There is need of migration first with 13SP2 (which should cover also older versions), then converting to V14 and then to 15 or 15.1.

Even then old firmware can lead to problems with newer TIAs.

In my experience, it isn't usually old FW that's the problem with newer TIA, it's usually being downloaded from an older version of TIA that's the problem. Why this matters, I have no clue, but it seems really important.

V15 doesn't like uploading a project that was downloaded from V14, regardless what FW version it is.

Good news, though: Portal can tell you what Portal version the existing PLC is at! If you do your browse from the Overview window (on the details tab), you can see basic information like MAC and IP address. If the devices are reachable via IP (IE, they match your subnet), then you can click Display More Information to get details out of the devices. This will show both FW version and TIA version, although you might need to add more columns to see what you really want.

I think the TIA column is new in V15.1, but it will still show you older versions.

display TIA Portal Version of HW.png

print says it's a 1214C DC/DC/DC, 6ES7214-1AE30-0X80
Must be 6ES7214-1AE30-0XB0

This CPU is programmable with TIA V15.1 with FW2.0 .. FW2.2.
If the FW is earlier than FW2.0, then it is probably programmed with TIA V10.5 or TIA V11.
I am not sure, but I think that upload from S7-1200 came with FW2+

So you are possibly not able to upload from the S7-1200.
And for the HMI you mentioned, you will almost certainly not be able to upload to an editable project.

But it is possible update the firmware to FW2.2 and to create a new program with TIA V15.1.
The features of FW2.2 are described here:
https://support.industry.siemens.co...c-s7-1200-firmware-version-2-2?dti=0&lc=en-WW
Notice that only with FW2.2 came the ability to download in RUN, i.e to make program changes without stopping the CPU which is higly desirable. So I would definitely update the firmware.

You know, I have to wonder why software writers do this, why can't they make the newest version backwards compatible with the older versions?

I can see an older version not supporting something written in a newer version, but the newest version should cover everything back to the beginning of time.

A-B does this too with their ControlLogix stuff....

Sure, the license covers it, but it's just the point that they make you jump through hoops to figure out what you need, then download and install more software, cross your fingers and hope it works....

Sorry, End Of Soapbox.....

But again, what does the second half of this error message mean?

"The configuration was created with an earlier version of TIA Portal and cannot be uploaded. Download the configuration now in order to edit it and then upload it again."

So I guess the obvious part is the program was written in a version less than 15.1, and TIA Portal is not backwards compatible.
So this means I have to figure out the version and get a copy of that?

Or, what does the download/edit/upload config part of this message mean?
Is there a way to make changes that allows me to upload the program with what I have?

JohnR

Good news, though: Portal can tell you what Portal version the existing PLC is at! If you do your browse from the Overview window (on the details tab), you can see basic information like MAC and IP address. If the devices are reachable via IP (IE, they match your subnet), then you can click Display More Information to get details out of the devices. This will show both FW version and TIA version, although you might need to add more columns to see what you really want.

I think the TIA column is new in V15.1, but it will still show you older versions.
attachment.php

Can you try what mk42 posted above?

You know, I have to wonder why software writers do this, why can't they make the newest version backwards compatible with the older versions?
Totally agree. It is one of the biggest nuissances with Siemens TIA.
For this reason, us who have been working with TIA for a longer time keep previous versions of the software, either parallel install or in separate VMs. I have V13SP2, V14, V15 and V15.1.
I dont understand why it has to be this way.

So I guess the obvious part is the program was written in a version less than 15.1, and TIA Portal is not backwards compatible.
So this means I have to figure out the version and get a copy of that?
Maybe. If it is simply not possible to upload due to the firmware version, it is not worth trying.

Well, it just aggravates me that each new generation of hardware and software makes it harder and harder to just write or access a PLC program.
Everything these days has to be Integrated, Connected, Project-based, and everything specified down to the Nth degree.

I can remember back around the turn of the century, and I transitioned from my good ol' DOS-based ICOM software for my SLC's and PLC5's, and started using this new RSLogix software on something they called Windows 3.1

Yes, I'm an old dog, and I hate learning new tricks, but sometimes I just have to.
Still got a couple years before this old dog can just lay around dreaming about chasing squirrels...

Ah, another new trick...
one of the PLC's is FW V3.0.2 TIA Portal V13.0 SP1
and the other one is FW V4.0.0, TIA Portal V13.0

So this tells me I need TIA Portal V13.0 SP1?

JohnR

thanks, but I'm still on Win7 with my laptop.
We are slowly migrating to Win10 as MS is dropping support for Win7 the first of next year. But our IT guy is still trying to find me a Win10 laptop with a real serial port (within the allotted budget).
And when that time comes I'll probably run my Win7 as a VM under Win10.
MS may be ready to end support for Win7, but in the real world the software vendors are not ready....

thanks, but I'm still on Win7 with my laptop.
We are slowly migrating to Win10 as MS is dropping support for Win7 the first of next year. But our IT guy is still trying to find me a Win10 laptop with a real serial port (within the allotted budget).
And when that time comes I'll probably run my Win7 as a VM under Win10.
MS may be ready to end support for Win7, but in the real world the software vendors are not ready....

I'm sure Siemens would love to sell you a Field PG (programming laptop with card readers, profibus, serial port built in, and Siemens software pre-installed), but I doubt that it'd be in your budget.