RTA 435NBX losing communication

doomsword

We have Real Time Automation's 435NBX module, used to access one serial device over EthernetIP network.
It seems this device gets stuck and stops exchanging data between PLC and serial device. What I see when I connect directly to it is that's inaccessible, cannot see it on network or through RTA program used to set IP address.
What solves the problem is rebooting the device by power off and on, after that it's pingable, can be seen on PLC's network, and through RTA program for setting IP address. And it starts communicating.

This happened second day in a row now.
Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? Is it possible that we try to read/write too fast? Right now we read/write data as soon as 435NBX says it's ready to recieve/send.

I'm curious about this also. I believe a former colleague ran into this same issue with one of the RTA devices as he was constantly cycling the power to it for communications.

I'm curious about this also. I believe a former colleague ran into this same issue with one of the RTA devices as he was constantly cycling the power to it for communications.

So far our plan is the same, to cycle the power by adding a relay.
We have two of these devices and both are having communication issues. Our electrician will also try to lengthen the serial cable, as he thinks it may be too short (between device and RTA gateway).
I also tried slowing down communication considerably but no effect.

You can contact RTA for support, those guys are really good, that what you are paying big buck for their device. Their device in general is very solid.

Most likely fault is either at your program, power, serial cable.

I agree with BachPhi that your best course of action would be to contact RTA. Their support is really good. They are still a small-ish outfit so it doesn't take long to get to the person who developed the device you are working with.

Although, I will tend to disagree with BachPhi that it is likely an application issue. It is my experience that RTA devices don't lock due to reasonable application errors. This is quite possibly a firmware error highlighted by something specific you are doing. A properly developed device shouldn't lock just because the user told it something silly. However, like us, the developers at RTA only know what they know. They can't anticipate everything. So be VERY specific with them about what you are doing. It may trigger an ah-ha moment with the person you are talking to.

Keith

I contacted their support, I hope they'll answer by the next week.
Also to point out, this device came pre-configured as it is part of the package sold with serial device we're trying to communicate. All I changed was IP address to put it into PLC RIO network range.

Is it communicating through a switch? I've got a switch on a test panel with several gateway's (including an RTA) and they all stop communicating after several hours. I found the switch I was using was overheating and would stop passing data. When I first noticed a problem I would simply power cycle the panel but eventually narrowed it down to the switch. Having said that, is the RTA unit installed in such a way that it's getting plenty of air circulation (maybe it's getting to hot)?

So far our plan is the same, to cycle the power by adding a relay.
We have two of these devices and both are having communication issues. Our electrician will also try to lengthen the serial cable, as he thinks it may be too short (between device and RTA gateway).
I also tried slowing down communication considerably but no effect.

Adding a relay to cycle power can actually cause more problems down the road. Most devices that have "chips" in them have limited life cycles and constantly cycling power shortens their life. Unless it's a temporary fix, I'd figure out why cycling power needs to be done.
As to the serial cable being to short, I've never heard of such a thing. In fact, just the opposite. The shorter the cable the better.

Still we have issues with this device. We have no idea how to resolve this problem. We tried a lot of options on RTA device suggested by support, but nothing really helped.
Right now we cycle the power once every 1 or 2 days. I hope this won't turn into permanent solution.

Can you get some Wireshark traces. I am familiar with the CIP protocol and the CIP dissector for Wireshark is very powerful and can provide a lot of information. The only problem is you will need a managed switch of Ethernet tap. If you can get the data, I will be happy to look into it. It would be nice to get the trace when the failure is being manifested.

We resolved the issue, it was duplex mismatch between RTA gateway and Stratix switch.
I thought I posted here that we resolved it, I kinda have deja vu writing this.