1747 SDN scanner and ADR

Sirius12

Hi All,

I want to use the 1747-SDN scanner module's ADR ( Automatic Device Replacement) feature for one of my products. A document from Rockwell explaining ADR mentions the following section:
-------------------------------------------------------
When is the ADR function triggered?
Once an ADR file is in the scanner, every time the scanner opens a connection to the drive, it will download the ADR file.
The connection opening will occur every time power is killed to the network or the device is removed then replaced on the network. If a local parameter is changed in a drive, it will stay in the drive, until the next time power is cycled to the network and then it will be overwritten. It is good housekeeping practice, to periodically refresh ADR using RSNetworx from the drive, and download it to the scanner.
-----------------------------------------------------------

From the above description I understand that the scanner will download the ADR file to the device only when it "opens the connection". Since I am in the process of doing some testing to see if ADR works fine with my devicenet slave with updated firmware, I wished to know whether there is any other known scenario in which the scanner will download the ADR file to the device - may be like a user doing some incorrect setting on the scanner.

I would also like to know if there are any precautions to be taken( learned out of expericences.. other than the ones mentioned in the documentation)while configuring the ADR using 1747 sdn scanner.

The document referenced is "Automatic Device Replacement on DeviceNet", ~0028051.doc, Rev D,Generated By D.J.Withenshaw