New 1747-PIC Service Pack 3 Patch

Thank you!! I've been searching for something like this since SP3 came out! It's in and working as advertised, good stuff! My only other option was to use VMWare and have multiple OS's to choose between based on what was supported on what I was working on... Great Job, Thanks again!

Glad it helped you. And BTW, your only other option wasn't much of an option at all as the PIC doesn't work from a virtual OS.

Hello Dustin,

I am trying to apply the patch but it keeps giving the message "Because system files are changed, you must be an Administrator on this machine to apply the patch. No patch was applied". Maybe it is not working as expected because my native Windows XP SP3 is a Portuguese BR version, but I'm not sure on this.

The following is what I've tried so far:

- I am an user with administrator priviledges, but I keep getting the message and no patch is applied;
- I've logged to the Administrator account with no better results (this account is named "Administrador" in my Portuguese BR version);
- I've created a new account named "Administrator" (yes, in english) with administrator priviledges, but no better results as well.

The following is how my folders look like:

C:\Windows\system32\dllcache\serenum.sys (NOT HERE!)
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\serenum.sys (OK, IT IS HERE)
C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp3.CAB (OK, IT IS HERE)

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ren:unsure:o_O

Last edited:
Someone had a similar problem a while back with a Mexico version of Windows if I remember right. I made the guy a slightly different version that had a different way of detecting Administrator privileges but I never heard back from him.

In hindsight I should have made it more intellegent by searching the system for those files, then replacing them as I found them. All the machines that I tested it on had the files in the same location, but it looks like it changes depending on whether you have a US version or not.

For the time being, you could do it manually. If you right click on the form of the patch you will see something along the lines of "deploy files". This will extract the dll and cab from the patch so you can place them manually. Windows could end up shaking it's fist at you though, but it can't hurt to try.

I will take a look at the patch and maybe skip the location that you are missing and PM it to you. If it works (meaning Linx can then connect to your PLC) then I'll make it available to everyone.

Dear Dustin,

I finally managed to have serenum.sys and sp3.cab replaced by their SP2 counterparts extracted from your application. I double checked after rebooting that they were actually replaced, but the behaviour of RSLinx is pretty much the same as before:

Startup..., Start and Stop buttons are deactivated

When trying to add a new 1747-PIC / AIC+ Driver I still get the following error:

"SwapDriverIn() Failed to Swap in the new PIC Driver
Try Restarting RSLinx"

I've also tried to uninstall COM1 and let Windows manage the reinstallation process after rebooting without noticeable change.

In one of my tryings I could get the PIC driver running and the fields "Packets Sent" and "Reply Packets Received" of the Diagnostics Utility were giving consistent information, but then I disconnected the PIC from COM1 and RSLinx kept reporting the same results, as if the interface was still working (very strange!). Anyway, I launched RSLogix 500 but I could not get online and got a "processor not recognized" error. I've tried with both a 5/01 and a 5/02 CPU. For reference I'm using the following software versions:

RSLinx Classic 2.55.00.16 CPR 9 SR 2
RSLogix 500 Pro 8.10.00 (CPR 9)

I'm out of ideas. If you still have any...
Anyway, thank you so much for all of your posts related to this issue. You have surelly helped a lot of people and we all are very thankful to you.

All the best,

Ren

Last edited:
allenbradley,

I know you said com 1, but is this a real serial port?

Also make sure RSLinx is not running as a service.

Hey guys,

It worked at last!
The problem was probably some dirty wiring I had done to connect the PIC to COM1. I was using TX, RX and GND only and I'm not sure if the PIC needs any of the handshaking signals, although the flow control was turned off in Windows. After replacing the wiring for a decent DB25S to DB9S adapter I finally succeeded in communicating to the CPU.
The application made by dmroeder (Dustin) didn't work for me due to some administrator priviledges issue. I don't know if it had to do with the fact I'm using a Portuguese BR version of Windows XP. Anyway, I had to replace the files pointed by dmroeder manually and in the following order:

C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp3.cab
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\serenum.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\serenum.sys

Beware that you need to have your folder options properly configured in order to be able to see the hidden and protected files of the operating system. Many people :oops: wrongly report that they don't have the DLLCACHE folder in their PCs just because of that.
I had to extract all the files in SP3.CAB, replace SERENUM.SYS for its Windows XP SP2 version, and then put them all back together in the cabinet file. Attached is a zip file with the SP3.DDF script I used with MAKECAB.EXE to recreate SP3.CAB.
Below is the recipe step by step:

- Extract SP3.CAB to a folder named SP3, for example;
- Rename SP3.CAB to SP3_BACKUP.CAB, for example;
- Copy SP3.DDF (attached) to the SP3 folder just created;
- In the SP3 folder replace SERENUM.SYS SP3 (15,744 bytes) for SERENUM.SYS SP2 (15,488 bytes). I've attached a copy for your convenience;
- In the command line (at this point you must be at C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp3) type the following command:
makecab.exe /f sp3.ddf
- In a couple of minutes you'll have a new SP3.CAB file;
- Copy your new SP3.CAB file to the folder C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 (I could have done it in the script...)

Additionally I've reinstalled RSLinx, deleted COM1 in the Windows Device Manager and rebooted the PC before installing a new driver in RSLinx, which must not run as a service.

That all together worked for me but I must tell you that there still are a number of error messages, the buttons 'STATUP...', 'START' and 'STOP' in the Configure Drivers window still keep disabled, etc

Definitely Rockwell did not rocked so well with this driver. :angr:

Many thanks to dmroeder and also Mickey for their invaluable support! (y)

All the best,

Ren

Last edited:
Ren,

Nice detailed post! In my patch if you right click on the form you can select "Deploy Files" and it will extract the files that are embedded in the .exe They include the SP2 and SP3 versions of serenum.sys and the SP3.cab that I build with the SP2 version in it.

I originally looked into building that cabinet file through code but got side tracked and never looked at it again. I settled on building the cabinet file using your mentioned method.

Hello Dustin,

After not being able to tell what I was doing wrong I ended up going through the proccess step by step by myself. But you are right, the files provided by your application works just as fine. Anyway, if you haven't told us which files should be replaced the fix would have never been possible. Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Ren

I think I sent you a PM with a link to a program that tests for administrator privileges 2 different ways. Did you ever see that PM? I'm curious if either one works for you...

edit: lol never mind, I should have looked at my PM's first!

I got the driver running with your patch. Hoping to test next week on a PV550. This is on XP Pro native SP3 (with current updates) running behind windows 7 on vmplayer. Thank you for your efforts.

I never had any luck with VMWare. It wouldn't work with SP2 in VMWare either. I'm curious of your results so please post back.