[OPC] Need help with connecting to old OPC on Windows NT

Khaak

Hey folks! I spent a week trying to figure the problem out but no luck.
Please, give any advices, guys.

I have:
1) Old ABB Advant AF100 OPC server that is connected to the field and obtains data from devices. OPC is installed on old Windows NT and uses to drive local SCADA on the same machine. Localy it works ok.

2) Kepware Kepserver EX V4 on Windows Server 2008 which obtains data from many devices\OPCs to drive main SCADA (server 4). It also obtains data from server №1 using OPC DA driver. It was configured many years ago and it works ok on SCADA.

3) Kepware Kepserver EX V5 on Windows Server 2012 which is a copy of server №2 in scope of OPC configuration (same devices, but different versions of Kepserver).

4)FactoryTalk SCADA on remote server.

The purpose is to migrate all devices and chanels from old OPC server 2 to new server 3.
I migrated 99% of that stuff from old OPC server to a new one and it works ok, except ABB Advant AF100 OPC.

I can not figure the problem out. It simply can not connect to server 1.
I have the same user on all machines, the same DCOM configuration on server 2 and server 3. I have no problem with network connection between all of them.

When I tried to use OPC Quick Client on server 2 to connect to server 1 I got error message (Wrong CLSID). Nevertheless it works OK on SCADA. I see the data, but sometimes i need to wait up to 5 minutes.
I tried to use OPC Expert from server 2 and 3 to define the problem but it says I do not have permissons to connect.
I can not even browse OPC instances installed on server 1.
I also have checked there is no Opcenum on server 1. May this cause the problem?

Where I need to dig, guys? I am run out of ideas. Thank you in advance.

Do you want connect remotely to the ABB server?
Do you have Windows NT 4.0? If no, please specify the operating system.
What about the client machine?
Are you reading DA/HDA or AE data?

Do you want connect remotely to the ABB server?
Do you have Windows NT 4.0? If no, please specify the operating system.
What about the client machine?
Are you reading DA/HDA or AE data?
Hey k_w thanks for reply!

1) Yes. I want to made OPC connection between server 1 (ABB) and server 3 (Kepserver V5)
2) Windows NT 4.0 is on server 1 and Windows Server 2012 is on server 3
3) Clients does not matter. If I could obtain data from server 1 on server 3 it is not an issue.
4) I am reading OPC DA only. (It works ok on sever 2 but not on server 3)

The purpose is to migrate all devices and chanels from old OPC server 2 to new server 3.
An OPC server has a driver that talks to the field device on one side, and then it talks to an OPC client on the other side. You need to make sure that the OPC Server that replaces the ABB Advant AF100 OPC server has a 'driver' that will 'talk to' whatever the field device is.

I can not figure the problem out. It simply can not connect to server 1.
I assume that you mean that The Kepware OPC server can not connect to the ABB OPC server. That's not unusual because OPC servers do not talk to one another, unless you license one of the 'special server-to-server' packages.

If you mean that the Kepware OPC server will not talk to the field device, then you need to check into whether there's a Kepware driver for that field device, whether you have licensed it so that it is functional and whether the driver is configured properly.

An OPC server has a driver that talks to the field device on one side, and then it talks to an OPC client on the other side. You need to make sure that the OPC Server that replaces the ABB Advant AF100 OPC server has a 'driver' that will 'talk to' whatever the field device is.

I assume that you mean that The Kepware OPC server can not connect to the ABB OPC server. That's not unusual because OPC servers do not talk to one another, unless you license one of the 'special server-to-server' packages.

If you mean that the Kepware OPC server will not talk to the field device, then you need to check into whether there's a Kepware driver for that field device, whether you have licensed it so that it is functional and whether the driver is configured properly.

Thank you danw. Just to clarify the situation:
I do not want to touch the machine with ABB Advant AF100 OPC because it works ok localy. Also OPC to OPC coneectiong works fine with server №2 and ABB Advant AF100 OPC (server №1)
using OPC DA protocol.
To summ up I want to establish OPC to OPC connection between server №1 and server №3 and failed to do so.

might be a bottleneck,too many using the TCP/IP connection if that is the protocol.

Last edited:
might be a bottleneck,too many using the TCP/IP connection if that is the protocol.

To clarify:
before making OPC connection between server 1 and server 3 I disable OPC connection between server 1 and server 2 (which is established on routin basis)

Problem was solved!!! Finally!

I just installed opc core components 3.00.msi
which I downloaded from
https://www.wut.de/e-5wwww-10-inus-000.php

So every necessary OPC core components were installed automatically.

Now I am able to get a list of OPC servers installed on my Win NT without any issues and eventually connect to the specific OPC server.
Thank you for your help guys.