Lost of program just setting there doing nothing

Tim ODell

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a ControlLogix Logix 5555 1756-L55/A [1756-M13/A]
I had a program in it when I left Friday Afternoon and no ones else around.
I came back to it this afternoon to do some more programming and found the following condition
Run Status = Green
RS 232 Status = Solid Red
Ok Status = Solid Red
I shut the power off and hooked up the laptop to it than started it
At the Start up the following occurs
Ok Flashing Red than goes Green
RS 232 Flashing Green
I am Connected but once the processor goes into run both the RS232 and OK Status goes solid red.
Was able to see a fault stating that there was no program in the Processor
Just what happen??
Anybody have any thoughts on this one??

Thanks

Oh yes I did forget to mention this
It was a brand new one had just gotten it on Monday
Thought I might as well replace it again

Solid red OK is non-recoverable fault and has the potential at that point to dump the program(usually hardware related), which is why you probably lost it. What is the IO set up?

Slot 1 has a Control Net 1756-CNB/D
Slot 2 has a 2 Axis Servo Module 1756-M02AE/A
Slot 3 has a 16 Point Input Module 1756-1B16/A
Slot 4 is empty
Slot 5 has a 16 Point Output Module 1756-OB16E/A

Consider re-flashing the firmware since it is a "new" processor. Being an L55, it must have been on a shelf somewhere for a long time if it really is new.

edit: Also verify that the M02 firmware is consistent with the processor.

Note that the L55 will lose memory/program after about 3 or 4 months of being on continuously.

Rockwell KB 38430.

The work around, cycle power every 30 days...

How the hell can they still be in business with something like this?????

If you actually read the KB note, you would know that this only applies to 15.03 and 15.04 firmware and was addressed a long time ago with a firmware patch. The recommended workaround was a temporary solution if you couldn't upgrade the firmware immediately.

If it is indeed a "new" L55, there is a good chance the battery that was packaged with it is dead.

If you actually read the KB note, you would know that this only applies to 15.03 and 15.04 firmware and was addressed a long time ago with a firmware patch. The recommended workaround was a temporary solution if you couldn't upgrade the firmware immediately.

If it is indeed a "new" L55, there is a good chance the battery that was packaged with it is dead.

I missed that it was corrected. (I replaced the plc anyway so the firmware is v19 or v20).

Last edited:
Tim, you very probably have a damaged CPU that somebody put back into stock or sold on the aftermarket. The 1756-L55 has been out of production since early 2011.

There was the notorious OS rollover bug in early v15 firmware, but a fault after just a weekend tends to rule that out.

There were also some well-known backplane chip defects in that same era, and they could result in similar failures. I had a "pet" L55 controller which would run for between a half hour and two days before experiencing that failure, and I kept it (spray painted with shameful orange paint !) in the office to demonstrate conclusively what that kind of failure looked like.

Worse, the backplane chip failures could affect *other* modules. A 1756-CNB with a bad backplane chip could cause a fault on its nearby CPU. We replaced a *lot* of stuff during that period, including modules that were not defective but were suspect because of the neighboring modules.

In general, the backplane chip failures of that era would show up after a few days, not after years of operation. If you're assembling or expanding a system with parts built in 2010-2011 and are experiencing unexplained major faults, you should be suspicious of parts that should have been remanufactured or destroyed but were routed into storage or the gray market.

Last edited:
Tim ODell said:
Lost of program just setting there doing nothing

I have a ControlLogix Logix 5555 1756-L55/A [1756-M13/A]
I had a program in it when I left Friday Afternoon and no ones else around.
I came back to it this afternoon to do some more programming and found the following condition
Run Status = Green
RS 232 Status = Solid Red
Ok Status = Solid Red

I shut the power off and hooked up the laptop to it than started it
At the Start up the following occurs
Ok Flashing Red than goes Green
RS 232 Flashing Green
I am Connected but once the processor goes into run both the RS232 and OK Status goes solid red.
Was able to see a fault stating that there was no program in the Processor

Just what happen??
Anybody have any thoughts on this one??

I have one thought, but first...

Maxkling said:
Do you have a battery in it?

Oh yes I did forget to mention this
It was a brand new one had just gotten it on Monday
Thought I might as well replace it again

Replace what? The battery you mean? Please try to be clearer in your replies. I could be thinking you are not replying to the battery question and are saying you had forgot to mention you have replaced the processor, again. If two processors had now displayed the same symptoms then I would be suspecting more the other hardware or the program itself.

What firmware revision have you flashed the 1756-L55 from/to? Revision 16 is the latest it supports.

Was it at the out-of-box boot code revision 1.2 with a sticker across the front indicating it needed to be flashed before use? Or did you flash upgrade from one existing revision to another? A sticker present would indicate it was truly a new processor, or it was at least a remanufactured or refurbished processor. Where or from whom did you purchase it?

The unique LED indicator pattern (OK & RS232 Solid Red) that you have described, along with the apparent Type 1 Code 60 fault (Non-recoverable Fault - user memory cleared) when going to Run Mode, would be indicative of this particular scenario...

45633 - 1756-L55 V15.05 OK LED and RS-232 LED solid red on going to run mode, along with Type 1 Code 60 fault
Access Level: TechConnect

A simple enough programming error (JSR instruction calling its own Routine), or similar, could be all that is at fault here?

Failing that, I would loop back around the "Fault Flow Chart" to Ken's good information.

The firmware revision is important to know so we can rule in or out any revision 15 known anomalies. If you have flashed to r16 latest, for instance, then these anomalies would be irrelevant here.

Regards,
George

Thanks allot for all of this information guys!! Being new to this ControlLogix system is getting to be a very detail system indeed. Will definitely put all of this good use

The processor in question was a 1756-L55/A Cat. Log Rev. F01 Series A with a F/W 1.2 with a serial number 00100D79 It also had the 1756-M13/A Memory Expansion with it. It came as a whole unit plus a spare Processor Module and 2 Axis Servo Module so they were in used until the machine was parted out and I ask to have this unit to learn with.
The unit had a dead battery which I had replace and found no program message. So I loaded the version 8 program into it and found that the 1756-M02AE/A which was label as R/W 3.8 had been upgrade to Version 13.
So under advisement I flashed the Processor to Version 13 that was all I could go up to. Than re-installed the program which had to be also upgraded.
Everything was good and I was just trying to work out a controlnet error and left the unit on over the weekend. (Usually I was turning it off by its switch)
I have attach the photo I memtion earlier about having the Solid Red Lights on for the RS 232 and the OK Status Indicator with the Run Indicator Green
Since than I did re-flash the Processor again and Re-installed the Program.
I have no error sign showing up either in RSLINKs or in RSLogix 5000 but upon checking the properties of the ControlNet Module I do have a message stating the following. " RSNetWorx for ControlNet cannot be Launched until ControlNet File is Specified above"
I have search my laptop any .xc file but have come up empty handed

Sorry seem to be having issue upload the jpegs