how do I edit and save on a user protected RSLogix 500 file?

ICTechs.com

We had to make some changes on a RSlogix 500 file to a Sterilizer. When we try to save the changes (edits)it, give us the "user protected" message. How do I get around this. I have done this before, but forgot how I did it.

Need help

well

The problem is that our company has tweaked the program. Its that the former engineer who saved all of these programs. protected the hell out of them. I have done the standard. "right click"/Properties/ verfified that "Allow Offline edits" box is checked etc. etc. Its just that I cant see the ladder logic when I upload the program to the laptop. I can make edits in the data files, but when I goto "save it" I get "Program is protected from user access" message. I figured this out about a yr ago, but dammit if I didnt forget what the heck I did. Approaching 40 and its starting to show

I know this is the politically correct answer but it is probably the fastest method too. If you own the equipment and the manufacturer of the equipment did not put the software protection on it, call Rockwell Support and explain that to them. See if they will help you.

How about...
save the program to a local PC...
then edit the program on the local PC...
then shut-down the PLC...
then pull the memory-battery from the CPU...
then, after a few minutes (5-minutes?), re-load the program from the local PC.

I don't know if this will work... but, it seems worth a try.

I figured it out

Thanks fellas for the posting. The problem is that I need to have a copy on my hard drive, if i dont then no matter what your protection settings are you will get the "program (project) is protected from user access" message. I have found an original

Thanks again

Last edited: