Simple Specification for an Assembly Line

Andrew

Hi, I'm new to this field and I a have a simple project to complete and seeing as its a once off situation, I'm finding it quite challenging. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

A report on an assembly line with 11 stations.
1). The Line uses an indexing convayor.
2). The loading station uses pneumatic cylinders to raise a stack of fixtures and to load them one by one onto the indexing conveyor.
3). Stations 2,3 and 4 are PCB assembly stations. Their programed sequence is simply initiated by the supervisory controller on the line. The stations signal when the operation is complete.
4). Station 5 on the conveyor involves pickingup odd form components, one per board, from a part feeder, moving to a point 20mm, 35mm (x,y) from the lower left hand cornerof the fixture. this part is onserted by a simple triggered downward motion of the gripper.
5). Station 8 involves tightening a fixing, previously inserted, to a given torque.
6). Station 9 is a test station.
7). Assemblies which fail the test are diverted from the indexing conveyor to a reject roller conveyor at station 10.
8). An operator off loads good assemblies at the end of the line and puts them into boxes at station 11.

-.Draw sketches and block diagrams of the line showing the various stations, pneumatics, motors, controllers, supervisory controllers, etc.
-.The line is controlled by a PLC which is linked to a supervisory computer running SCADA software. Write a PLC program for controlling the line.
-.Design the pneumatic circiuts appropriate for the loading station and any other relevent stations on the line.
-.Specify motors and controllers or other possible solutions to implement stations 5 and 8 on the line. Include programs for motor control as appropriate to your design.

Thats my brief and any help on it would be greatly ppreciated, the more the better.
Thanks, Andrew

Start with this.
Draw sketches and block diagrams of the line showing the various stations, pneumatics, motors, controllers, supervisory controllers, etc.
Post your sketches. Tell us how you plan to approach the design of the stations, and we'll offer our opinions and suggestions.

A couple of questions to kick-start your planning: Are you going to use a single PLC for the entire line or individual PLCs at each station? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either approach? Would your answer be any different if you were going to purchase one of the stations as a drop-in component?

I give your instructor credit for assigning a project that you might encounter in the real world.

I actually can't even get that far, eg.block diagrams and all that. It's just a once off thing that I was looking for a quick simple solution. Any way that the system is set up would suit me. The more basic the better. As you can see I'm fairly desperate for a solution, so please help. Thanks.

Ah here, I'm an honours student and this is the only thing hindering my progress to a world of future greatness. And yaeh I've got a six pack.

Here is the deal then, if you are an honor (that word implying that you actually have honor) student then you know HOW to think.

The whole purpose of these exercises is to develop your thought process and analytical skills. Its been stated already how to begin, as an honor student you didnt get there by having others do your work did you?

I too do not think of this as a "simple" project but I dont think your instructor does either, undoubtedly he/she thinks that you have been prepared well enough to perform this task, at least on paper.

You will get help but YOU must show some effort and post what you have done, when/if you do something.

This site will provide guidance but noone will do the homework for you and if you are truly an honor student and expect greatness then you would have some material developed for this.

Andrew

you said
Ah here, I'm an honours student and this is the only thing hindering my progress to a world of future greatness.

As this project seems to be your last as a student, I would have thought that your lecturer has given you all the back ground information during the course. All he/she now wants is for you to put all that information together and apply it to this particular project.

I suppose this is different from programming a car wash or traffic lights.

I look forward to reading Terry Wood's reply to this post

So do as Ron and Steve suggest, attempt it, post what you have done and then I am sure that you will receive lots of advice and suggestions.

Good luck

Paul

In reply to
I would have thought that your lecturer has given you all the back ground information during the course

my lecturer hasn't provided this. My lecturer just read aloud a few notes, no explanations and the labs that were held were a farce. My lecturer wasn't good at teaching and that is why this is the only subject I'm struggling at. Don't worry though I'll find some one who cares enough to help me out. Thanks..

Andrew

Don't worry though I'll find some one who cares enough to help me out. Thanks

Everybody who has replied to your post has stated that you should attempt it, post what you do and then they will help.

You will not get someone from this site who will do the whole project for you, that is not what its about, the regulars here will offer advice and make suggestions but they will not do it all for you.

We seem to be hearing a lot about lecturers in the UK who cannot lecture, maybe this is another area within the UK where there is a skill shortage.

Any Americans fancy emigrating to the UK and becoming college lecturers.

Paul

You are probably going to use a lot of pneumatic cylinders and electro pneumatic valves. You need to determine your I/o. Then you need to monitor your pneumatic cylinder with reed or hall effect switches so there are no conflict with each other ,extension and retraction. Then write your program with a simple Shift register and shift the bits down the line and monitor your parts present with a Banner photo electric sensors. Good luck.

My belief is you should handle this project like any other "simple" project. Start with an overview of the system (which you have) then break it down into smaller more manageable parts. If you have 11 stations maybe you should break your project into 12 parts, the 11 stations and a main or master control that manages the stations. Nothing is overly complex if you can break it into simpler parts. Good luck to you.

Hi Andrew,

This is a simple way of getting help from this forum.

1, Try the excercise yourself to the best of your ability. Even if the effort totally sucks it's better than nothing.
2, You will have probably totally stuffed it up, so post the mess here and let us have a look at it.
3, while waiting for ideas and replys, have a look at what you've done by yourself and see if you can improve it to a workable situation.

And remember, greatness normally involves staying up late at night while everyone else is in bed and working really hard on the problem untill it's fixed.
Greatness is also usually preceeded by large amounts of failure and misery.

Doug